Average time starting your business to first inspection

Originally Posted By: Ross Osborn
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I was wondering the averge time it takes from the first day people begin working for themselves until they get their first inspection…

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Ross,

It could take you a few months, depends on a lot of things. The most important would be your determination to keep marketing day in and day out.

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: Robert Patterson

Ross,

Last week a relatively new HI (1 year) asked me for the best advice I could give him. My reply was "Just don't get discouraged". The time to your first inspection, being in the balck, etc. depends on many factors; you, your market, the demographics, sales volumes, your advertising, your overhead, etc.

Bob

Originally Posted By: rmeyers

Ross,

My advise, make your own! Do some practice inspections as you have time. Inspect your own house or some of your relatives or friends. Approach it as a for hire inspection and develop/practice your SOP. This will help you feel more comfortable as you get into dealing with clients looking over your shoulder. (Maybe some of your practice clients will even help defray some of your expenses?) Save and file these inspection reports. As long as they are a legitimate inspection of a property they may count toward any future requirements for licensing.

Just a suggestion! ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif) Good luck! ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

--
Russ Meyers

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

Deleted

Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

Remember, most licensing and membership requirements talk about “fee paid Inspections.” They don’t specifiy the amount of the fee.

When I started, I ran into several recommendations of doing friends and relatives houses, but charge them a nominal fee, $5.00 or so, to make it count as an official fee paid inspection. Of course, that means you have to treat it as such, complete with report.

There are so many variables to getting started. I've talked with inspectors who didn't do the first inspection for six months. By the same token, I've talked with inspector's who've done several inspections in the first month.

Just don't get discouraged and keep marketing. Show them you aren't going to fade away.

--
Erby Crofutt
B4U Close Home Inspections
Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

Originally Posted By: kbliss

Erby,

I to am new to the business but have done 5 inspections in the first month. Nothing great but it is a start, and everyone was very happy with my work. Do I keep hounding realtors or is there another avenue I can take. I have a few realtors who have used me andf Im just thinking its a matter of time before it takes off.

Kurt Bliss

Kurt,

Market you and not the inspection. All good marketing has just about nothing to do with the inspection, it has to do with what makes you stand out from the crowd. Find yourself your own little "glich" that makes you stand out from the other inspectors and sit back and be patient...they will come.

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: kbliss

Joe

Thanks for the word of confidence and I now this is true. I started a lawn care business 15 years ago and now I want to sell it as soon as I get going in the HI business. When I started that business it was all by word of mouth, because I was reliable and did a good job. Still have my first customer from 15 years ago.

Kurt Bliss

Kurt,

It takes a while to get any business going. It is tough getting into the inspection business. Agents are hesitant to use new inspector out of fear they may be of the anal retentive nature, if you know what I mean. I can't say I blame them, its tough when your paycheck depends on it.

I am sure you will be ok, it justs takes time and patience.

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: rray

Read “Guerilla Marketing Tactics” and then go to it.

You'll also find that there are many third parties that will have a finger in your pie. This is my fifth company that I started, so I knew what I could do. Unfortunately, I had never started a company in California. So many fingers and so few slices of pie!

Confidence in yourself and your abilities

I'm a very what-they-call AR person. I keep track of everything. As an off-the-wall example, I have 1,068 music CDs. Because I obviously like every one of them or I would not have bought it, I want to listen to them all. So everyone gets a fair chance. I listen to them alphabetically and then chronologically within the group. Beatles first album through Beatles last album last year. Etc. I keep track of them, when I last listened to each CD, my goal of listening to 10 CDs per day (I have a CD player in the car), and a beautiful Excel spreadsheet with some awesome graphs concerning my daily listening habits. Now, with my AR credentials established. . . .

Here's what I believe is a fairly successful HI model for you to set some goals by:

Here's what I've done since I opened my HI doors for business on October 15, 2001 (note how close that was to post 9/11):

10/01 (sixteen days) - 8 inspections
11/01 - 7
12/01 - 12
1/02 - 4
2/02 - 19
3/02 - 29
4/02 - 35
5/02 - 45
6/02 - 34
7/02 - 36
8/02 - 56
9/02 - 35
10/02 - 42
11/02 - 33
12/02 - 25
1/03 - 26
2/03 - 39
3/03 - 44 (as of 3/28/03)

December and January are my slow times of the year.

There is a direct correlation between my daily marketing efforts and the number of inspections I do. And I don't do a lot of marketing if I meet my dollar goals each month. (That's why it's 3/28 and I'm sitting here today reading through the NACHI web site).

My goal is to average 3 inspections per day over the course of seven days, or 21 inspections per week. My goal is 800 inspections for 2003. However, my main goal is gross revenues of $200,000 for 2003. If I get there with fewer inspections (meaning higher average fee), so be it.

--
Home inspections. . . .
One home at a time.

Originally Posted By: ismetaniuk

This membership was a big waste of my time!

Igor

Top To Bottom Inspections

Glen Spey, NY

I knew someone was going to say something like that. I think I shall have to go have another margarita.

Home inspections. . . .

One home at a time.

Hey, Igor.

Yes, I am aware of that missing "l." But it wasn't me who lost it. Back in 1993, when I met my mother for the first time in 28 years, I asked her about my name. She admitted that she misspelled my name on my birth certificate, but after she and my dad talked it over, they just decided that I was a unique child and should have a unique name. She never did define "unique" for me, though, and I'm not sure I want to know what they meant by "unique." Of course, for $35 or so, I could change my name to Captain James T. Kirk. I do call my car the Enterprise and my motorcycle is the Shuttlecraft.

Russel
Kirk out.

--
Home inspections. . . .
One home at a time.

Originally Posted By: Timothy Maloney

If your looking for something to fill in until your regular home inspections pick up, try www.inspectarisk.com. The observation reports might give you some fill in work.

Tim Maloney

Vendor Manager

Inspectarisk

(760) 643-4125

TMaloney@inspectarisk.com

www.inspectarisk.com

(Please include original message in your reply)