Avg houses inspected in a week

Matthew or Matt, which ever you go by, thank you for your military service and much respected on my end.

I think the number of inspections to want/wish for per week is relevant to each one’s personal situation. Many want a career change but depend on a necessary income to meet or stabilize their current one. Others can transition over starting out part time. Some have other income and this work is a supplement income. That’s pretty much where I stand.

With that said, you need to look at why you want to do it and is it something that you need to do to support you and your family. Personally, I wanted to do it knowing it alone, was not going to support the income that my wife and I needed. Fortunately, my wife’s income can do that and mine is just supplemental at this point.

With my scenario, I only schedule 3 to 4 inspections a week. I’m still “new” and doing it for over 2 years. My theory is to learn, be thorough and make sure my report is competent. I want my clients to know that I’m spending time on their “investment” for hiring me and I’m am not an 'inspecting processing mill." It has seemed to earned a lot of respect with clients and RE agents so far.

1 Like

Matt, can I ask why not finish your 20 years and collect your pension.?

1 Like

I think he stated he was retiring in 2 years Marcel. That would give him 20. 20 pushups for you sir… :crazy_face:…JK,

4 Likes

OK, thanks

1 Like

I’m definitely finishing my 2 years, I don’t want to retire with nothing planned when that time comes. Setting myself up for success for when I get out.

3 Likes

Thanks, As I’m standing now my retirement will pay 90% of my bills. The wife will finally be able to get a job and the income from inspecting will be play money and working on my second retirement. I chose to be an inspector because of the control I will have over my schedule. I’ve been on 7 deployments and I can’t count how many detachments. It would also be nice to pass down a business to one of my 4 crumb snatchers. :joy:

2 Likes

I think David’s number are good to shoot for, Matthew. Like Marcel said, depending on where you are.

It can take two to 5 years to reach a sustainable goal, to not just live but, save $.

Be persistent and consistent is very important. Have cards with you all the time and hand them out when you hear about buying/selling a house.

In a few of years I kept moving up util I was doing 15 to 20/ per week, if I remember correctly. But, I had a reputation, in our tourist town as a licensed builder and that helped me transition quickly.

The I decided how many I wanted to do per/week and kept going until my bride said “Hey we need some time for ourselves” (she did some marketing for me. We mailed out flyer coupons with related info on them and agents love to do thins foe their client…like save $25 to$50 bucks.) and settled on less but continued to save . I can't remember exactly how many I did/per week after that but I was able to save a substantial sum of and when I retire my lowest condo price was $475.00 and I focused on high end residential, mostly on the water.

Do the best inspection around and your name will get out there, Matthew.

And, it really helps if you have no debt to start.

4 Likes

Maybe if I reported SoP, a 30 page report, and I was younger.
I would self combust at my age. I was exhausted after doing 6 inspections in 7 days last year.

1 Like

I found it makes a difference if you’re working for the realtor or if you working for buyer

2 Likes

Agents lie. They want a soft inspection ,never want to know if hacv or water heater is at end of life, only does it work today. And by gosh don’t or talk about foundation cracks

1 Like

Shoot for 15 per week, than you may get 4 it 5.

Shoot low you will not eat

1 Like

aww thats mean :slight_smile:

1 Like

This couldn’t be more true! 99% of my calls start with how much and follow with my realtors guy is much cheaper. All I can do is explain that you get what you pay for. Unfortunately in NY state not much is required to become an inspector so we are loaded with a bunch of Joe’s and a crap ton of Shmoe’s.

1 Like

In my experience I’ve noticed that in 35+ yrs, the lower your fee; the softer your report is; the more business you get. I know inspectors like that chugging out 12-15 jobs a week.

1 Like

So what you’re saying is a lot of inspectors half ass their work to complete more inspections, and the inspectors that work their ass off and complete a proper report are the ones with less inspections?

Hopefully you won’t fall in that category just for the sake of getting inspections.
When I supplemented my income with an extra 4-5 C a week, I was happy with that and my reports took 4 hours and the inspection counting to and from about 4 hours, I slept good at night and clients were happy with a 60 page report. Never had a call back.

3 Likes

It’s not in my blood to half ass work.

2 Likes

When I began back in the Stone Age. I’d do 6 & 8 a week then I got smarter and jack my fees up almost double. And did Maybe three or four a week and made more. That’s just me.
Charge more inspect less.
Many perceive cost as value.
I will soak them for whatever I can get LOL.
However, you better be good if you do this.

4 Likes

Roy’s first inspection report…
cave

3 Likes

Exactly Thomas
We had to write reports without images. Are narrative explained it all.

3 Likes