Awl for one

Originally Posted By: cradan
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

awl, maybe 5"+ with a scabbard so’s I won’t poke my own eye out??

Chris

http://www.inspect4me.com

Chicago Illinois Home Inspections

Originally Posted By: rfoster1

Professional Equipment has a 24" awl with a wood handle. I think they want $25 for it. I use it in every crawlspace. Great for spider webs (and for beating back the rabid rodents). Can also reach some otherwise out of reach soffits, etc.

Originally Posted By: cradan

Thank you, Ray.

Chris

http://www.inspect4me.com

Chicago Illinois Home Inspections

Originally Posted By: chorne

I use a extendable paint roller handle(fiberglass), drill a hole in the center of the end and glue a

a 20p galv. stressskin panel spike with the head ground to a point

you can reach as far as needed.

Carla

Originally Posted By: dedwards

I went to the flea market and bought a 18 inch phillips head screwdriver and ground the tip into a blunt point. I also used Carla idea for the extending handle only mine is aluminum with plastic grips. I use it with a heavy duty plastic spring clamp to hold onto a two pin probe for a moisture meter too with an extention cord from Radio Shack to reach those water stains on the tall ceilings. Saves me scads of time and I don’t have to pull out the ladder each and every time. Im basically always looking for ways to demonstrate laziness.

Originally Posted By: dnice

I also use an extendable paint roller pole but I cut the screw on end off a paint roller and ground the handle of a nice awl to match the roller handle in diameter. I epoxied the awl to the handle and wrapped it with black tape. It looks neat and clean and not Mickey Moused. I keep the awl unscrewed (and with a plastic cap on the tip) and in a pouch until I need it.

Originally Posted By: sspradling

I went to Walmart and got a hotdog fork in the camping section, about 3 feet long with a wood handle. Ground the fork off, leaving a nice sharp point. It’ll reach most soffit and fascia, reach down next to deck posts, pry vegitation away from siding and foundations, and fit alongside my flashlight in the belt ring. Be careful not to impale yourself if hopping off retaining walls or squatting next to a/c units.

Stu

Originally Posted By: dnice

sspradling wrote:
...Be careful not to impale yourself...

![](upload://yOOxZSdPo31FQoMZGuQTxD3Wtva.png) Always good advise!

Originally Posted By: psisler

I made my own awl that was constructed of a 24 inch threaded rod and a handle that accepted the threaded rod for $4.25 at the local hardware store. I ground down one end of the rod and screwed it into the handle and had a 2 foot awl for $4.25 instead of $25.00. Works like a charm on those hard to reach places. Just my nickel.

Patrick