Balcony Structure Falling Down

Hello all,
I live in a condominium neighborhood with 52 buildings. Out of those 52 buildings, probably half of them have severe structural defects in their balconies. The balconies were constructed with very minimal and in some cases no weatherproofing. The ceilings on the balconies are OSB board. The problem is that water is pooling up on the top floor balcony and settling then causing a fault and in turn, the pavers from the top balcony fall onto the second floor balcony (note that there are 3 levels of balcony). The second floor balcony then starts to pool up with water with each rain then the same happens and it falls to the bottom floor. The majority if not all of the homeowners had inspections at the time of purchase on these homes. I know hindsight is 20/20 but looking back, is there anything that you all would’ve looked for to identify potential faults in the structure of these balconies? To see them first hand, there are plenty of pictures at http://TheKBHome.com
I’m just curious because I’m very hesitant to buy another new home since I’ve had such a bad experience with this new home and as inspectors, is there any proactive areas to look at for waterproofing techniques?
Thanks!

How about stating this question is to promote a website
rather than a personal question ?

Sorry, I really wasn’t trying to promote the website, I just didn’t want to load a lot of pictures into the forum and the website contains quite a few that could maybe help answer my question. I’ll try to load a few instead.

To answer this simply, no. More than likely these properties were just built and finished when inspected. Water damage more often than not develops inside and works it’s way out. By the time you see visible symptoms on the exterior, the damage inside, as it appears you all are experiencing, is usually far worse. That said, after seeing construction defects on tiled exterior wood frame decks firsthand, I am usually (always) exceptionally leery of their design. They may look nice, but there are general reasons why tile and pavers are laid on concrete outdoors rather than wood frame structures. It can be done, but most often involves pouring a rubber membrane reinforced mortar showerpan-esque substructure to deal with moisture intrusion and home builder stock owned corporations, who are concerned about their price per share simply, don’t pay to do.

Anytime your dealing with a publicly traded company the big boss has to answer to stock holders, stock holders want ONE thing only and that is return on their investment and the more return the better. So the CEO’s job is to make money and everyone underneath him has the job of making the CEO look good…

Greed is the root of all evil and is apparently a good cause of crappy building as well…

Wow man do I agree with this Russell!