Barn Inspection

We have done a lot up here also!

yes Brian.
I am sorry if it sounded condescending towards Canada.
I am very proud of my provinces actions on material investigation and general oversight of the industry in general.
I know little of Canada’s code or building practices out side my jurisdiction Brain.

Brain I here you talk over and over again about the insulation, vapor barrier, venting.
You are a roofer or insulation guy.
That is how I have you pegged.
Everything you forget to mention is what separates you from
GC or any carpentry, cement, brick, electrical, drywall hanger, finish carpentry, EFIS trades man.
I see youas a reader of fact.
Close?.
Am I close?
So go back to the 1950, 1960, 1970 information on home building and it was incomplete and bias to say the least compared to today’s modern standards Brain
Brian the advent of the computer and greater need for energy conservation that can in the mid 1980’s set the real ball rolling.
Brian the blanket MacN…
You point over and over again to a sealed home.
Brian that is maybe .0001 percent of houses out there and sealed houses are so far away the next generation MIGHT start building them.

My question is - how much can you charge to inspect a barn?

I live in Pennsylvania USA and barns are about as common as beer joints in most counties.
The boom to bust of farming and farmettes where people bought them with hopes of turning them into horse stables and making a profit.
The barns were all timber framed and very sturdy - except for a lack of maintenance after the dairy industry took a hit and everyone quit raising and milking cows.
When you try to explain to those people that a $1000 assessment would be worth 100 times that amount if you found structural deficiencies that would make or break their operations they all shrug their shoulders and buy it anyways - without a inspection. Then when it fails and it does - they come back looking for the insurance company to pay to fix their mistakes.
At some point the insurance companies are either going to refuse to insure the structure or will demand that they carry such a high deductible that most people will not be able to afford the policy.

You seem to know very little about the energy efficiency of homes in Canada and its history. Smart people for the past 25+ years have known that the airtight, highly effcient house with proper ventilation is the place to be.

In the the early 1990’s, it was noticed that R2000 homes were rarely, if ever, showing up in the real estate market in Moncton, NB. A study by the local RE board found that the R2000 owners had no wish to sell their homes…they were extremely happy with their current house…why move…Thank-you!!

Other facts:
The 2 oldest HRV companies began in 1979; Venmar began in 1980/1, I believe…so their must have been a need for their products…these companies are very successful today!!!

The National Building Code since 1995 has had the intent of making houses tighter and in that year addressed it better and required “distributed ventilation” such as as an air exchanger or HRV. R2000 homes have been built since 1983-4 and have used HRV’s. All new homes in Nova Scotia are now required to have an energy audit and rating by law so the builders will be trying even harder to make the homes tighter!!

Nothing that new…to myself!

BTW, you called me a reader of fact…isn’t that what you do here to learn. I had a period of 7-8 years before I started the company mentioned above where I worked with a licensed electrician, an insulator/roofer/carpenter, a furnace installer among others…experience is a decent teacher also.

So I count 6 trades and you say there are more???
Nothing wrong with what you are saying Brian.
You are getting my meaning all wrong.
I point to observation and hands on experience.
They both play a roll in build for without one the other is hard to archive.
As for my exaggeration or mismanagement of time frame of certain standards ,I am being subjective.
IE meaning: It would be wonderful if all the homes where built as you would like them to be built.
Yes Brian to dream that imposable dream.
But after building those homes and the owner wants change, guess who does that change?
I have no doubt : again no doubt your of huge comprehensive knowledge behind the technical applications that should be in-place.
Mostly they are not.
They are a ham strung mishmash of homes, restored, upgraded by, the owners brother in-laws, plus beer drinking out of work, never became a trades man handy man, and any neighbor that is will to lend a hand , plus those cash only workers money grabbing untrained professionals.
That is the residential market I mostly see anyway.
That is 60 percent of the market place. I am being lenient.
You should look at being a commercial or industrial inspector because your fact base intelligences and unique retention for the writen word and fact is more suited for that field in my view.
Those industry’s have had a greater regulatory body watching them and are scrutinized more-so now than ever to me, and have been investigated 10 fold as compared to residential build practices and standards over the years.
In my eyes Brian. Yes in my eyes.
Had enough fact feed to me by you tonight.
And certainly enough belittling of Nick, INACHI and its members.
OK.

HA HA HA
You are wasting your talents. Besides arguing with everyone putting down INACHI and its members is so ignorant its affront to all members here.

Pay attention to health issues, especially in older barns. Wear a respirator. I’ve worked on barns that were really nasty. You tasted the ammonia in the air.

Also, especially in older barns, electrical problems may be well hidden. I once got a positive voltage sniffer reading from an entire wall that had no wiring at all in it. I finally realized that I was picking up static electricity (it was the downwind wall in a high-wind area).

There are some well documented cases of “stray voltage” in barns where cattle, etc have gone off water and suffered other bothersome effects but it was hard to find the source of the power leakage.

http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/livestock/dairy/facts/strayvol.htm

I thought that was considered “alternative fuel source”?

How to Inspect a Barn