Basement egress...

did a home the other day… had basement stairs coming from the attached garage and no other means to enter or leave… no bulkhead… basement is unfinished…

this strikes me as odd but unless finished I cannot find anything specific regarding egress in and out of the basement…

can anyone help me out with this… I’ve pointed it out more as an inconvenience and potential hazard…

any thoughts?

thanks
jeff

http://www.nachi.tv/ppv/6

This comes to mind, Havent watched it yet myself

wow a bit pricey to answer this question but worthwhile to watch in the future for CE… thanks Mike!

Very common build around here. My in-laws lived in a neighbor hood where all the houses were built like that. Basements were finshed. I personally don’t see a problem with that. Check with the local AHJ.

This is a skicky issue as to how you report this as the requirements have changed dramatically over the years. currently on a basement without sleeping rooms the requiement is to have only one emergency rescue and egress opening but it must open directly into a public street, public alley or court. the fact that the stairwell leads to a garage would require another opening meeting the above rquirement. you can read the full text in chapter 3 code article 301.1 of the international building code 2006. on your report uou may something like new homes being built to the current standards would require a second egress opening

I’m no code expert, but how would someone in the basement get out if there were a fire in the garage?

that was the point of my earlier post. to be considered an egress opening it must open to the outside as well as meet the size requirements for egress openings. ex. if it were a window it would have to have a clear net openig of 24" high and 20" wide the sill would have to be no more than 44" a.f.f. etc. etc.