Basement Slab Question

Originally Posted By: mbailey
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Has anyone seen this before?

[img] http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/320.jpg [/img]

24 year old single story home with full basement. All original construction with no additions, etc?
This row of 4? block separates the basement floor slab into two separate slabs ? the block is a single course. The block run down the center of the basement and are visible for 15 feet before basement bearing wall covers the remainder of it. The post in the photo is the mid-span support for a load bearing beam that spans the previously mentioned 15? opening.

--
Mark Bailey
Stonegate Property Inspections LLC
Ponca, NE

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

Can’t say as I have. The question is to whether this was a homeowner’s idea or specified by the architect or engineer of record. It looks as if it functions as some sort of control joint, though a bit weird. The other question is whether the block (below the lally) sits on a concrete pier. Perhaps the original thought was to have a load-bearing wall sit atop of the entire row of blocks. Is the existing slab merely a finished rat-slab of sorts. Maybe it’s not beefy enough to sustain a bearing partition,. thus the installation of block. Tough call either way.

I'd call it as I seez it. Cant see below. Not sure if block is supported by pier. Monitor as neceessary. Call a structural engineer for further evaluation.

Originally Posted By: mhenderson

Was the floor sloping toward these blocks…or were there any drains present in the surrounding floor…another guess might be some kind of drainage for water…just a wild guess tho… icon_rolleyes.gif

Mike@ Eagle I

Joe and Mike,

Thanks for the responses. Wrote it up as it appeared - unknown whether proper support for metal support column was in place, monitor, etc.

--
Mark Bailey
Ponca, NE

Originally Posted By: roconnor

Looks like something designed to originally be an intermediate bearing wall support that was changed/re-designed to post-and-beam for open space. Probably 8"/10? block on strip footing below, with a centered 4"/6? wide top course to give the slab a bearing ledge. Then again, its not visible …

Good call to monitor ... I am assuming ya put a marble on the floor above to see if the joists were sloping towards this support line ... which would indicate settlement and inadequate support (no footing).

BTW ... block cores should have been grouted solid at the post bearing point.

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Robert,

Thanks for the additional information. Just as FYI?The cores were not grouted anywhere along the visible length.

--
Mark Bailey
Ponca, NE