Bathroom Ventilation New Code

Its in IRC Table 1505.4.4.

1 Like

Thanks for researching this, you must be smoking the same good stuff. LOL

The table does not make the requirement. Kitchens do not have to be ventilated, and they are in the table. (I am just playing devils advocate here, you may be right…I just want to get to the definitive answer).

1 Like

You are trying to change the meaning of the context.
They are stating that a window is not required as long as you have a light and an exhaust fan.
Obviously, if you don’t have a window, you need artificial light.
The requirement for a light is still necessary weather or not you have a window if you want to use the bathroom at night, not?

2 Likes

Many of the row homes in Baltimore have an operable sky light in the bathroom (original construction from the early 1900s). So, no, they did not also need a light fixture. Darker on some nights than others I’m sure, but bright enough most days you’ll think you left the light on. 'Course back in those days they didn’t all have electricity anyway.
old-antique-gold-plated-brass-candlestick-with-handle-and-plate

As a home inspector / code inspector I’m gonna throw out some food for thought.

1. The code is dependent on your local code AND any additions or exclusions your municipality makes.
  2. R303.3 and R304 might be made in lieu of OR in addition to each other.
  3. Different municipalities use different versions of the code … In KC for example you have over 50 cities or townships making up the METRO area. Codes used range from the 1997 UBC to the IRC 2018 (some use 2003 IRC, 2006 IRC, 2012 IRC, 2015 IRC, etc).
  4. So its foolish for anyone on here to make a BLANKET statement AND think its true EVERYWHERE
4 Likes

Thanks Dan! So what would be your answer to the original question?

The answer is #1 in my post. Entirely dependent on what Version of What Code and Your locale

The code is dependent on your local code AND any additions or exclusions your municipality makes.