Be REALLY Careful With Your Continuing Ed

You can learn a lot by talking to other inspectors.

Over 30 years I’ve taken MANY classes for the simple knowledge I obtained and to be a little better than other inspectors around me.

When I wanted to get licensed in lead paint, I took a 3 -4 day class in that. It was not CE approved by any association I belonged to.

When I wanted to learn EIFS / Stucco inspecting I took a week long course on the east coast. It was not CE approved by any association I belonged to.

Septic Inspections the same way. I took a 4 day class in another state that was not CE approved by any association I belonged to.

AND over the years I’ve noticed many inspectors around me never take any classes or training UNLESS they need the CE right then AND more and more of them won’t take the time to go anywhere outside their immediate back yard for the training. Thats why ONLINE is so popular with newer inspectors.

RRP approved
Level 1 IR
VA approved CI for ADA.
CKBR
CR
CPE
Construction Law 3 days- 1 day exam
Other certs I forgot about.

Continuing education is a fact of life for some, others already know everything and both types inspectors are members here.

Education is about personal best and not about impressing other people.

Very well said I see what I call 90% ERS.
Gone before three years .
Some seem to think they deserve to be an instant inspector .
Some do not think they need to get field experience or do continuing education .
It is unfortunate how many loose much time and money and then disappear.

Funny thing is I am a certified educator for CE credit in Virginia, in fact I was the first to hold such a title in Virginia in terms of Electrician licensing. However, I don’t even think the TREC would take my courses either…lol…so go figure.

Texas is a strange beast. I have been here now for 2 years, I serve as a Subject Matter Expert for the state of Texas and TDLR and help write the tests for electricians taking their licenses in the state of Texas…and again not even sure I qualify to teach any HI courses in Texas…and I would love to do my 8 hour defect course for my fellow adopted texans but alas…TREC make it not worth the effort…lol

Good summary on 4-12 by Emmanuel below. Thanks…sometimes I fear that our industry is not paying attention to the beaurocratic rule making gone amuck in Austin. The Inspector committee being led around as the Commission desires. To watch them, they think they are the smartest among us.

Cahill is right that TREC is pushing us to the ‘for profit’ education providers. Since TREC is an independent commish now, everything is revenue including the periodic expiration of ed classes. Of course you can renew…for a fee. The instructors can also be approved…for a fee.

Nolan, don’t worry the ESAC is meeting Monday to discussion testing for EVERY class that you take including CEUs. BTW ESAC has now taken over the education decisions for the Inspector committee and surprise surprise…the rules state that one ‘for profit’ representative must sit onthe ESAC but no such rule for Associations who provide Ed. ESAC = Education Standards Advisory Committee which as of the last legislative session is a standing committee.

It may interest you to know that TPREIA was contacted by an inspector wanna be who had taken his final class thru RETS. He had just been notified by TREC that the RETS class approval had been gone since January 1 but they took his money anyway and were not sure what would happen but RETS hoped that TREC would retroactively approve the class so all would be well. The rules state that retro is against TREC rules…

Manny,

Your explanation is well done. Here is some more information, subject to verification

TREC created an education committee to revamp rules. The committee is advisory. The Chairperson of the committee is a “Mrs. XYZ”. Her husband is TREC Commissioner Mr XYZ.

The inspector committee had little or no participation with the education committee chaired by the wife of a Commissioner XYZ.

TREC has or is moving towards requiring distance education certification. This may have been proposed by the education committee chaired by the wife of a Commissioner XYZ.

ARELLOis a trade association of bureaucrats. The Association of Real Estate License Law Officials. They offer distance education certification. The certification cost big $$$.

The Executive Director of TREC, Mr ABC was recently promoted from the prior highest level “Administrator”.

Mr. ABC is also a 2016 ARELLO Foundation Board of Director

So . . . The Education committee Chairperson is married to a Commissioner that has a say in the employment of the Executive Director who also happens to be a Director on a bureaucratic trade group that happens to offer distance education learning certification for $$$.

Thanks for the further description of the convoluted beauocracy that governs the inspectors of Texas who have no voice John. I suspect the inspectors who be less apt to speak up for themselves and more apt to speak up for the consumers of Texas. There seems to be no one doing that now unfortunately.

I looked and with the help of another finally see the connection. So sad that it always appears to come down to the adage “Follow the money”! What is even more sad are the consumers are the ones that pay for this type activity in the end!

I suppose the only thing left is to keep playing the lotto and hope that boat comes in since this one is sinking fast!:roll:

Online is also popular because it is:

• much more affordable
  • can be reviewed if the topic is difficult
  • can be sped up if the topic is known
  • I can take it in my underwear :smiley:

I believe the best on line course could ask 2 or 3 times the number of final test questions. If the student can score a 90 they get credit for the course and do not need to complete it. However, if a student scores less than xxx they are shown the modules related to the material they did not know. A quota of “xxx” hours of study is irrelevant in today’s world. intelligence * experience * test taking skill * memory skill = time to take a course.

I have taken some 8 hour classes in 1 hour. On the other hand I had to take Nachi slate class twice and still have not passed the test. (not a hard course; distractions on my part). But the point is I can go back and do it again.

God bless Nachi for their education program. Its the best.

It’s the way of the world.

TREC cancelled all classes January 1st, 2016. Courses had to be sent in again with additional fees and sometimes TREC is a little behind. Inspectors should check your CE logs on the TREC website to ensure you have enough hours to renew license. If not, you can get caught without active license. Please allow several months to go through the license renewal process.

No certificates are offered in classroom training anymore. The sign in sheet used during class is sent to TREC and the post your hours online. You should always check to make certain that yours are posted.

Paul Roebuck
TPREIA

Yes you need to check very closely with TREC about what courses are certified. Not sure I understand why the courses have not been accredited (I have asked about this just today) since it has been 8 months since they were dropped. I do not waste time taking courses,they are all of value to become more proficient but to believe the CE is acceptable should be clarified by InterNACHI on the Education page. The final certificates have the Texas CE number etc on them but when I submitted mine only two of 14 courses were accepted for credit. Grrrrrrr!:shock:

It’s strange. It seems that all of the non-NACHI providers have been able to get their courses approved.

Do the hours have to be 16 each year, or just 32 total for two years?

1102 language is unclear…

(b) As a prerequisite for renewal of a real estate inspector license, professional inspector license, or apprentice inspector license, the inspector must participate in the continuing education program and submit evidence satisfactory to the commission of successful completion of at least 16 classroom hours of core real estate inspection courses or continuing education courses for each year of the license period preceding the renewal.

George Szontagh
TREC 2212
Since 1990

Hey George. It’s 32 for the two year renewal period. It doesn’t have to break out by calendar year.

Thanks Chuck.

Champions sez otherwise (below). The other online outfits don’t say either way.

“A Texas Real Estate Home Inspector is required to do 32 hours every two years in which 16 hours must be done each year. Of those 32 hours, 8 hours of Standards of Practice is required to be included.”

On the odd chance that I would want some online hours, do I have to take a proctored exam? I don’t see anything in the state literature, but the online providers seem to say you have to sit somewhere, since Jan. 1.

Send a formal request for answer from TREC. Send it to Oldmixon and the folks in the education group. Get it in writing and make dang sure you SAVE the response. Reason being is that the “response” can easily change in spite of being in writing.

Trust me … I’ve been there.

I agree with Chuck, but again get it in writing from TREC Legal and/or Education.

I agree. My comment was based on actual prior experience. However, it seems all such things are subject to the whims of TREC. So what was true may not remain true.

If you get an answer from TREC please post it coral of us to put in out files for future reference