Beam Support Spalling

Originally Posted By: David Suelflow
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Steel beam as main support rests on CMU foundation wall. There is some spalling of the block face around the bearing point. There are no other cracks below or outside. The spalling is about ? inch deep. Other areas of the basement show signs of water intrusion but not in this area. Would you recommend an SE or note it as O.K.?

[ Image: Spall-1 ]

[ Image: Spall-2 ]

Originally Posted By: bking

Looks like a previous patch job is falling off. That wall is not likely to fail. Just report the observed conditions.

www.BAKingHomeInspections.com

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi to all,

I would suspect inadequate bearing between the I beam and the wall, the bearing should be a minimum of 3 inches.

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: mcyr

icon_smile.gif icon_smile.gif

This 12" steel beam is resting on a masonry wall supported with cement bricks and assume that at least three block courses below have been filled with grout, as would be the proper procedure with this assumed time lag of construction.

The bearing capacities of steel beam on masonry should be at least 4" and in this case might be a little more an picking up moisture from the outside and migrating through the block work and behind the paint and the parging of the bricks as I see it.

Due the fact that there is no steel bearing plate installed, the bearing pressures probably contributed to the affect.
These comments are all speculation, not knowing the circumstances, age, exterior, interior, etc..

Marcel