I’m considering to pursue career in home inspection servicing Central Ontario and GTA, and hope I can get some advice from practicing home inspectors.
A little bit about me; I have background in construction, I studied Construction technology and management at George Brown College back in 2000s since then I worked on number of renovation projects and my main specialty is finish carpentry. Since my job was so detail oriented I have learned to pay attention to detail and find even smallest deficiencies from a distance.
I have considered becoming a home inspector before and even passed Internachi exam back in 2012.
I hope I can get some answers before starting out.
- What do you think about Carson Dunlop course? I personally like that it can be completed at your own pace, and is relevant to Ontario but price tag is 4k
- What is the best and cost effective infrared training course right now?
- I plan to become an Internachi paid member and completing courses and exams.
- Is it worth it to become OAHI member at all?
- How is business?
- How is the job market in GTA? Is it over saturated with home inspectors or is fairly balanced? I understand well established inspectors might be making a decent living, but what about someone who is just starting out?
- I know one of the main ways to get inspections is marketing directly to real estate agents.
- What about advertising directly through Google being heavily invested in SEO and AdWords, I would love to work directly for buyers/homeowners if possible.
Thank you for any input or advice.
Sorry for lengthy post, if someone would like to answer my questions over the phone/WhatsApp I would really appreciate it.