Being undercut by $100’s!

Only if you want to firmly establish your reputation as a cut-rate low-quality inspector. A fair price for the value proposed is part of what establishes your value proposition.

3 Likes

True that: InterNACHI's Pending Home Sales Indicator

2 Likes

And, you wouldn’t want that…

3 Likes

Ryan, I agree. Never make it about the money. Take care of the customer. If you make the business about how you treat them, the job you do, and establish a relatedness, the money will be there, as well as the referrals. In my business, the fee portion is down the list. I don’t undercut by any means. I charge what is fair and never try to outbid or underbid a job to get it. If you take care of the top, the bottom line will be there.
That’s not to say that I don’t give some folks a break on the fee, but only when I am trying to help them or save them some money.

4 Likes

I’m considered a slow inspector in my area and I do 3 per day during peak season. That’s not hard to do. First one at 9:30-11:30, second at 1pm-3pm and last one at 5pm-7pm. I even have time to head back to the office between each to finish the report. Takes me 2 hours for the inspection, usually 30 minute drive and 15 minutes touching up the report before I send it. I keep a large gap between my jobs so I don’t need to feel rushed and have time to answer all of my clients questions.

I have done a ton of work on my narratives so having the right button to press on your home inspector app can help a lot, but with that being said limiting the choices and organization will also help making the process quicker. My reports are 40-45 pages on average.

I am very thorough and am sometimes labeled a deal killer with the things I find. Really some agents are just bad at negotiating because the ones who recommend me on a regular basis get big ticket items repaired or replaced on a regular basis.

2 Likes

That’s worth repeating.

Wow, are the inspectors that are considered “fast” in your area even getting out of the truck, lol. :rofl:

15 Likes

Please share what your typical home configuration is. There is no way in hell I would ever attempt more than two a day, and impossible to squeeze in the reports the same day… certainly not for the quality and detail I insist for all my reports that my clients demand!

15 Likes

Instead of telling the client what they should do or say or ask the other inspector, tell them why you are worth more. Find your USP in the area. What do you do that others don’t.

For example, when a client says they found a cheaper inspector and asks that I discount to that rate I tell them that I don’t offer discounts because of the overwhelming value I offer them. What kind of value?
-The time I spend on the home to inspect it (2 hours)
-Infrared scans for free (covers my ass for hidden leaks) but client sees it as value
-high tech tools to find things others won’t (drone, gas leak detector, infrared camera, moisture meter) moisture meter should be a standard tool for every inspection though
-Free Home Maintenance Books (at $4/book custom counting shipping) huge value and client/agents love them
-I am a CMI, people love knowing I have performed more than 1000 inspections and have been an inspector for 4 years as a full time job. This is the only job I do so I am focused 100% on learning and improving
-Online booking and payment system (this step increase my business more than any other step)

You win some and lose some but if you cave to a client about price they might come back as soon as they find something you missed and ask you to pay for that issue or a refund. Clients who negotiate over price are not always worth taking. They can cost you more time and headaches then they are worth.

1 Like

You should never testify against another Inspector if at all possible. We need to stand together!

Absolutely NOT!
If you are a hack, and someone wants to pay me major $$$$ to expose you for the failings you charged your trusting client for, I will happily testify against your crap inspection any day!!
If you are one of those inspectors, pray I don’t operate in your area!!
This is the industry I operate in. I WILL NOT allow another inspector to bring shame to the industry I have devoted 25+ years to elevate!

9 Likes

Although I have never testified against another inspector, I probably would testify against an inept one.

I don’t want to stick together with inept inspectors :flushed:

11 Likes

They likely had not considered the qualifying questions so now you become the authority while checking off all the boxes.

As far as discounts, when asked I tell them I respect the request. I may even offer a discount on a auxiliary service such as radon. $25 may seal the deal because some people just need the last word.

I encourage people who are new at these calls to work up a script so they are not caught flat footed. Just jot down a bunch of questions and how you will answer them.

6 Likes

-There are a couple of 2 man teams that do every inspection with 2 people
-1 still uses the paper with check boxes
-1 group of 4 inspectors only spends an hour and calls their business Accurate lol. They only use 1 inspector at a time. No wonder their reviews are so low

2 Likes

And, stand up and smile while speaking on the phone to a potential client. It really does make a difference. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

9 Likes

Unfortunately, these are the same people that pull down a list off of Google that some “expert” (cough-cough… realtor) thought they should be asking, many of which don’t directly apply to a standard inspection.

5 Likes

Bump!
This is a very important question for perspective of your statement(s).

3 Likes

I drive my wife crazy by pacing on the phone.

3 Likes

Typically homes built between 1900-1950. Usually less than 2500 square feet. Mostly home have basements in Michigan not crawlspaces. Crawlspaces take me a little longer.

I would share a copy of one of my reports but I’m sure you would rip it apart :joy:. I do love your constructive criticism tho.

I only do 3 per day 2 days in a row. I work 5 days a week and take weekends off. Normally I have 8-10 inspections a week but never more than 12. Some days I only do 1 because I have shared time with my daughter.

1 Like

I do that too. I put on a lot of miles talking on the phone, lol.

4 Likes