Bent Tabs in Dead Front - Fail if at all open?

My apologies for the blurry image, but would this dead front panel be considered as a Fail, given that the tabs are bent, allowing access…correct?

DSC03775.JPG

DSC03775.JPG

I would call it out but FAIL is an incorrect term.

Ventilation ports.:cool:

I would have bent them back rather than write it up.

I most likely would have done the same but I won’t tell someone to do that. :wink:

Same here.

I found a panel once with one of those sitting inside caught between the wires. I moved it and here is why: Anything happens afterwards the owner could claim the house was several years old and no one has been in the panel except the inspector. Of course this would be after the fire. Also the fix was easy.

None of this apply in your example, so I would let it be and write it up.

His use of the term “dead front” is also incorrect.

Your photograph depicts a deficiency but it does not depict a “dead front panel”. “Dead Front” and “Dead Front Panel” are terms that are often used incorrectly by home inspectors. Dead fronts are not common in residential electrical equipment. A dead front is usually (but doesn’t have to be) attached to a panelboard and is behind the cover. Your photograph depicts a panelbox cover.

Part of the confusion comes from the fact that a panelbox cover creates a dead front. It is not in itself a Dead Front (noun). It is a dead front (adjective) cover.

Part of being a professional is knowing the proper terminology.

The tabs should NEVER be bent back into place. Once the tabs are bent back, they should be removed. The openings can be filled with snap-in blanks.

I don’t do electrical installations anymore but when I had my electrical contracting business, panelbox covers always came with snap-in blanks.

While we are on the topic of panelbox covers, there are three general types of covers used on residential panelboxes: flush mount, surface mount, and combo covers.

This might help you better understand what a Dead Front is. Everything marked F1 is a Dead Front:

Pictures in this forum show a few live front. (notice the metal cart on wheels in one picture :shock: )

http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=80798

The NEC definition of dead front differs from yours and would include a standard panel.

So… Dead or Live front…?

\

Are there exposed live parts?

Realistically, yes, they could be, but not always. I often find the edge of the edison base to be exposed enough to be touched by accident while removing/installing a fuse… thus my question.

It’s a great point, the definition first appeared in the 1978 NEC so it seems like it doesn’t take into account the fuse panel in your photo.

It does not. Read my post carefully.

I get what your talking about now. I had to reread it (dead front PANEL):roll:

I understand your comment and agree with the adjective vs. noun argument but this part "Dead fronts are not common in residential electrical equipment." does not meet the very broad NEC definition of dead front.

This is from EC Magazine:

http://www.ecmag.com/section/codes-standards/boxes-and-raceways-dead-front-panels-and-more

I would agree with George, I would never bend the tabs back. What if they break, would you then replace them with one of the plastic or metal covers or would you state failed during testing???

They are already unsafe.

I would write it up as s defect in need of snap in caps and move on.

Yes have had the edge touch too many times, if it is a vacant home I screw out the fuses, if occupied I don’t pull the covers unless I see extra fuse’s