Best software to purchase??

I’m new also. I have been reading this board for a few weeks, trying to determine what I need also. So far it’s fairly easy to figure out that most here use HIP or Home Gauge software. Not so easy to figure out what else i need. Do I need a moisture meter? CO detector? what’s best to carry to test outlets? It would be nice to get some of these answered without being made to look like fool for asking. Those of us that are new, are trying to learn, and yes, we know you have answered these questions before. Try searching for “tools” “equipment” “what do you carry” in this forum and see what you get.

63 pages? You are kidding, right? Who is going to read all of that? My longest report is 23 pages. Who are you trying to impress?

My average report is 70 pages and I am trying to impress my clients with the detail they want and require.
Many clients are first time home buyers in this market and I have a heavy percentage coming back to me for my detailed reports.

Too much information???
That sounds like something a sellers Agent would say.

Only those doing on site reports that can not be bothered would say a report is to through or detailed.
A good report software will have a bookmark section and a summary section to make everything easy to find.

Does a computer document section need fewer files so you can find you saved information easier ???:)(think about it)

Just some of the reasons I created my own software to write reports, all done and printed on site. 5,000 inspections in 8 years with no lawsuits, of which over 90% where from referrals from past clients. Reports were created with narratives via Dr. Swift and Joe Ferry. Using others software is overkill, IMHO. Putting arrows on pictures just tells clients “you must exactly look here” which, IMO, is insulting to the client. Hardly anyone reads reports anymore, and most all just concentrate on the summary. Too short reports are just as worthless as too long ones.

Oh. Someone should blog about that. http://homeinspectorlawyer.blogspot.com/

InterNachi Home Gauge.
I have looked at 4 different kinds of reports and the support along with them. I have been using Home Gauge for 4 years and no troubles yet.:smiley:

Matt,
This has been hashed over so many times it is crazy in here. If you are looking for a solution you can use on a handheld device as you are walking around and avoid reentering data later make sure to look at some of the other software options that have been out there over 10 years and have been proven in the field: Knights Software, PalmTech, 3D, and of course HIP and HomeGauge.

Make a list of the top 5 features that are most important to you and see which one meets all of those.

Yep. The best… period. (I hope 90% of my competition uses something different:p;-))

Dean H. A…
to starstream4627@comcast.net

subject from Dean Anderson

hide details 11:00 AM (35 minutes ago)

Bob:

Just wanted to say thank you again for a job extremely well done.

During the period leading up to the purchase of my condo, my attention
was focused on too many different things to fully appreciate the quality of your
inspection.

As I was telling my girlfriend this morning as I looked over your report, you didn’t
‘just’ list the problems in the place, you took pictures and provided advice on exactly
how I could correct those problems, which is well above and beyond what I
expected from a condo inspector…

We finally got the clear-to-close yesterday, and as I looked over your report, just
wanted to say thank you again for a job well-done. If you should ever require a
‘testimonial’, or reference to substantiate your work - you’ve got one.

Happy New Year and thanks again, Bob.

Regards,

Dean H. Anderson

Thanks Robert,

And to answer your question, yes, also to fix the leak that corroded the pipe.

Just saying. I am an older person, so some of this new stuff is just what it is: stuff. PDA? Pad and pen works for me. iPad? iPhone? Why? Just fluff. You can over-impress a client. I use my cell phone for a phone; nothing else. Works fine for me. Guys that do reports at home are working 10+ hour days for one inspection; not me. I do everything on site; report, print, present, collect the fees, done. Out of there. No work at home. Beer 30.

Electronics and fancy software and reports take too much time. I only use my 9 year old tablet and HP 470 printer; office in a bag. All done on-site; most all in under 3 hours. If my reports were soft and basic, I would not be doing inspections for professional athletes, firemen, police officers, attorneys, and professional engineers.

Just saying.

You can over impress a client…New one on me. Never heard a buyer say, “That guy uses to much technology and did way to thurough of a job”. But thats just me…maybe others have this problem.

Now on the other hand MANY seller complain about this, but then again they are the ones who usually call US for their inspection needs. Funny how when they are the seller we are way to much info, but when they are the buyer, we are just what they want…:wink:

Many investors do not want minute details. If possible, you need to know your client; first timer, investor, etc.

A client may receive a 60 page report, as the report described the homes condition and defects that were observed.

If a client wanted a really long report I would ask them “why” and wait for their response.

A client seeking to “nit pick” a resale or existing home should be informed as to what your inspection service provides.

I say the following in a challenging tone :slight_smile:

“Anyone can report symptoms, but does he or she understand their cause?”

The difference makes the inspector, IMHO.

Correct. I have built dozens of homes, some for fellow relatives. Most still live in them. I have a large family, and do a lot of home repairs for them, and teach them while they watch. Roofing houses put me through college. Doing home repairs paid my car payments. 20+ years as a corporate manager in a top 75 company taught me business.

Long reports are just as worthless as short ones; IMHO.

Just a reason why Nick and Ben offer home maintenance manuals at a cost well below what they are worth; for new inspectors, who do not or have not performed home repairs, to present to clients.

Explanations and maintenance suggestions that are in longer reports are all normally in the home inspector articles on this web site, or explained in web sites throughout the internet, or even in most all home inspectors web sites. There is no need for long reports.

let me translate …
You young whipper snappers…why I outa…outa…where is my belt…(cough…cough)(spit)

WOW Mat. You have a couple of dollars to spend and time to take an IR course.
Its a full gambit of pricing and individual needs. I just went through what you are going through a couple of months ago.
You will need all the basics. Tape measure and angle finder, mirrors, digital heat sensor, ticker ,ladders, camera, CFC tester, software or paper checklist, flashlight, pouch or a vest to hold your tools or both as I did.
Its up to you how to invest and how expensive your tools will be.
Example. I bought a moisture meter that was 500 dollars. I returned it for a 100 dollar model. I will not need an expensive model yet. I will later when I do EFIS on commercial roofing and other aplocation.
So many mo
The best thing I can tell you is start off slowly. Get the basics and build from there. Remember 80 percent of business fail with in the first 30 months. I have seen IR equipment for sale on the MB.
Walk slowly with a good footing and foundation. Good business and marketing practices and strategy will help you move solidly.

Mat, Robert Jude makes all the sense in the world.
Put your money in the bank brother. It will all come with time.
Good luck Mat. Walk at a steady pace. See and learn before you spend money on what you NEED.:slight_smile:

Home Inspection report creater is great. Its web based only costs 149. per year and you can do it on your cell, ipad or whatever you want. Easy to read and use