Best way to gain access to home

Hello all.
I am starting my HI business in the next couple weeks after 20 years working in the construction industry, I would like to know what the most typical method of gaining access to a home is for inspection. Do you typically have either the sellers or buyers agent meet you at the home or do you get the combo for the lock box from one of the realtors?
Worth mentioning also is that in my area the clients and their agents do not normally attend the inspection. In my area normally the client and their agent show up toward the end of the inspection.

Thank you

Jack

Welcome aboard, Jack! @jjonas, can you show Jack the easiest way to gain access to a home?

2 Likes

Yawn… I’ve posted it a few times already in the last month or two. He just gonna need to read through the various threads to find it. (He should be doing that anyway).

3 Likes

Yes ,this has came up quite often. Same as best inspection software and a few others. :smile:

4 Likes

Ahh come on pretty please!

2 Likes

In my area, inspectors do not have access to the home until a realtor shows up.

1 Like

I recommend to join your local Real Estate Association as an affiliate and go from there.

3 Likes

I usually find the front doot is best.

Climbing through a window can be awkward.

But honestly, the answer depends on where you are. What is common in one area can and will be very different in other areas.

2 Likes

Either agent can show up to open the home for you. Agents are lazy so I use a Supra Key and let myself into the house.

Well, since you asked so nicely…

https://forum.nachi.org/t/booked-1st-inspection-and-buyers-agent-wants-me-to-use-suprakey/184811/39

2 Likes

The Master Key! :grin:

2 Likes

We are affiliates of our local realtor association and use the Supra App on our phones (there is a startup fee and monthly fee). If the home is not on Supra we just make sure we know the combination to the lockbox or ensure someone will be there to open up.

3 Likes

Welcome back to our forum, Cory!..Enjoy! :smile:

I will not enter an occupied home without an agent present. If it is vacant and the agent(s) cannot show up, I have them send me a one day access code.

1 Like

I am in a rural area and most real estate companies use a SupraKey or combo lock box. I pay $250 a year for the SupraKey access which is well worth it for me. Agents will give me the lockbox code over the phone or by email. On a very rare occasion I have to pick up the key at the real estate office, which I try to get the night before the inspection. During the summer months I will schedule vacant houses at 7:00am or I may have to leave my office by 6:00am to be way out some where in BFE. In either case most agents don’t get to work before 9:00am. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

3 Likes

I’ve been out that way a few times! :smile:

2 Likes

Did they understand you? LOL!

1 Like

meht dnatsrednu ?uoy did LOL!

1 Like

.esruoc fo seY LOL!

2 Likes

Iɟ ʎon ɔɐu ɹǝɐp ʇɥᴉs’ ʎon ɔɐu nupǝɹsʇɐup ɯǝ˙ Iɟ uoʇ’ ʇɥǝu ʇɥɐʇ ᴉs ʎonɹ dɹoqlǝɯ¡ :upside_down_face:

2 Likes