Better Business Bureau Membership for NACHI Home Inspectors?

Originally Posted By: bbernier
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

After trying to obtain a membership with the BBB my application was rejected because I am not a member of CAHPI or BCIPI (ASTTBC). If you are a member of NACHI then they do not recognize you as a Home Inspector, and as such are not allowed the benefits of becoming a member. Could this be grounds for a discrimination suit? How is it that I can register a Bondage,Sex and Drug Paraphanalia store in this country but I can’t register my Home Inspection Business? Isn’t that just grand? icon_twisted.gif

C. Brett Bernier
President
Western B.C. NACHI Chapter

Originally Posted By: John Bowman

Do Canadians all have the same school system. Seems that some can’t interpret rules, law, regulations, etc.

The Canadian BBB should realize that there are no Province requirements to belong to any association.

Threaten them with a lawyer.

Originally Posted By: rwand1

Chibo the budgie says “discrimination.”

There is either a mistake or someone is acting outside the Charter rights. Freedom of Association.

I would challenge them on this. Go up the chain of command! Ask them to provide something in writing as to their policy. I bet they won't but please do not back down.

You have my support.

Merry Christmas.

Raymond Wand
Alton, ON

Originally Posted By: rcooke

bbernier wrote:
Here's another "low blow" for the Canadian NACHI members who wish to register their businesses with the Canadian Better Business Bureau..... You Can't! After trying to obtain a membership with the BBB my application was rejected because I am not a member of CAHPI or BCIPI (ASTTBC). If you are a member of NACHI then they do not recognize you as a Home Inspector, and as such are not allowed the benefits of becoming a member. Could this be grounds for a discrimination suit? How is it that I can register a Bondage,Sex and Drug Paraphanalia store in this country but I can't register my Home Inspection Business? Isn't that just grand? ![icon_twisted.gif](upload://xjO326gspdTNE5QS3UTl0a0Rtvy.gif)

C. Brett Bernier
President
Western B.C. NACHI Chapter

So strange BC wants only CAHPI members in Ontario they remove CAHPI members.

http://www.bbblondon.on.ca/commonreport.html?bid=1041598

Roy Cooke .... CAHPI.ON.... R.H.I.... C.H.I....

A HAPPY NACHI Member

Originally Posted By: clawrenson

It is my understanding it is a personal choice to belong, equally, they do have the right to accept or reject members.

I am not sure why the noted parties needs get dragged into this discussion. What does CHIBO or CAHPI or BCIPI (ASTTBC) really have to do with this, other than they have enough members that they recognize that already meet their standard.

Before one starts launching lawsuits - I would recommend getting in writing why you were refused. Than you may have grounds for a complaint, a review or further action.

Originally Posted By: rcooke

clawrenson wrote:
It is my understanding it is a personal choice to belong, equally, they do have the right to accept or reject members.

I am not sure why the noted parties needs get dragged into this discussion. What does CHIBO or CAHPI or BCIPI (ASTTBC) really have to do with this, other than they have enough members that they recognize that already meet their standard.

Before one starts launching lawsuits - I would recommend getting in writing why you were refused. Than you may have grounds for a complaint, a review or further action.

I guess we reap what we sew.

Roy Cooke sr.... R.H.I. ....CAHPI/ON..... C.H.I.

Claude,

Chibo is a budgie.

Who are the BBB to determine who is qualified? The fact remains one does not have to be licensed to inspect anywhere in Canada. Nor is Certification in place. Sure sounds discriminatory to me. I would be inclined as you suggest to get their decision in writing. They have no basis in my opinion to refuse Brett.

Merry Christmas.

Raymond Wand
Alton, ON

Raymond Wand
Alton, ON

Originally Posted By: clawrenson

Thanks now we are getting somewhere, rather than recanting old topics. “We push all the harder - when we have something to push against.”

Quote:
How is it that I can register a Bondage,Sex and Drug Paraphanalia store in this country but I can't register my Home Inspection Business? Isn't that just grand?

Maybe your in the wrong business. The Supreme Court of Canada just gave its approval for Sex clubs. They said consenting adults with no money being exchanged do not infringe on the community standards as a whole.

Welcome to Canada.

Raymond Wand
Alton, ON

Originally Posted By: jkormos

that stinks icon_sad.gif

Originally Posted By: vmitchinson

I’ve been a member of the Alberta north BBB for the last four years.

I would have joined sooner but you have to be in business one full year before they will accept you. There is only one other inspection business that is a member of this chapter.

Works great. I have several clients a year that come to me via the BBB.

One client said she would not hire anyone unless they were BBB members.

Brett have you been in business for more then a year and have no complaints against you. BBB keeps track of all complaints including none members. If you are good on these items you should be accepted as a member.
Maybe you just ran into a tin dictator!

Fwiw I have never been a member of BBB. Haven’t needed to be. I can see the benefits though. On the other hand, it would appear that BBB is not afraid to publish history of ex members.

Merry Christmas.

Raymond Wand
Alton, ON

I dropped them like a bag of rocks many years ago. I got tired of their excessive fees. Furthermore they have the propensity to take the side of the consumer no matter what. No investigation, no rebuttal, no appeal system. The consumer is always right. So what in the hell are you paying for…a referral system.

This BBB system is the same as Real Estate Referral programs. Only worse.

In my opinion if a complaint gets as far as the BBB and its legit, someone needs to brush up on dispute resolution. I have found if you deal with a complaint up front and do not put people off, or provide good customer service these things should not be happening.

http://www.bbbmwo.ca/commonreport.html?bid=1131684

I did do a search on Nachi and CAHPI and found nothing, just to be fair.

Raymond Wand
Alton, ON

Originally Posted By: vmitchinson

Well John I do not know about their position on complaints as I have never had a complaint. They talk about their mediation proesss. I assumed its fair, Again I have not had to use this service.

I would be interested in what other have experienced.

Originally Posted By: twheeler

I had once received a complaint from a customer, through the BBB, the BBB sided with the customer no matter what my comments were. The problem was, that the inspectiond agreement stated that we do not move furniture, or storage in order to complete an inspection. There was a room full of storage, and I had no access to the room whatsoever, and stated in the report. He was upset that there was a receptacle in the room, behind the storage, that did not work.

He wanted me to pay the electrician. The BBB continued to state that I should take care of the problem. After numerous e-mails, phone calls, and complaints, I finally told the BBB, that if this matter was to be resolved, I suggest the customer take it to court, as I have a binding legal contract that covers my position.

Then they had the gull to tell me that they would enter my name in their database as a unresolved issue, and that if anyone called them for a reference, they would suggest they go find another inspoector.

At that, I told them, " if i hear of one person that did not use my service because of their statements, I would haul their a$$ into court for defamation.

I received a call from the vice-president two weeks later wanting me to join.

I THINK NOT !!!

twheeler wrote:
I had once received a complaint from a customer, through the BBB, the BBB sided with the customer no matter what my comments were. The problem was, that the inspectiond agreement stated that we do not move furniture, or storage in order to complete an inspection. There was a room full of storage, and I had no access to the room whatsoever, and stated in the report. He was upset that there was a receptacle in the room, behind the storage, that did not work.
He wanted me to pay the electrician. The BBB continued to state that I should take care of the problem. After numerous e-mails, phone calls, and complaints, I finally told the BBB, that if this matter was to be resolved, I suggest the customer take it to court, as I have a binding legal contract that covers my position.
Then they had the gull to tell me that they would enter my name in their database as a unresolved issue, and that if anyone called them for a reference, they would suggest they go find another inspoector.
At that, I told them, " if i hear of one person that did not use my service because of their statements, I would haul their a$$ into court for defamation.
I received a call from the vice-president two weeks later wanting me to join.
I THINK NOT !!!!!!!

Perfect Tyronne. Exactly what I am talking about.