Big fun time quiz on wind mit form

Here is the scenario. Asmall home with a simple gable roof with a 5/12 pitch has a rear addittion fully enclosed and structurally connected to the pitched roof. The home is 24’ wide and 40 feet long. For the purposes of this excercise we shall say there are no soffit overhangs.
What would be the maximum size of the flat roof before, under roof geometry on the wind mit form item #5, you would have to mark the residence as C. flat roof?

Next question… A structurally connected flat roof over a bathroom on a 3500 sq. ft.home with a simple gable roof is 60 sq. feet. What do you answer to question 5.

These not trick questions but it is a trick form, please play.

Come on guys I’m not trying to make anyone look stupid, this is more about the ambiguity of the language of the form and how it is nebulous at best leaving it open to interpretation. My answer to the first question was 115.5 sq’. I don’t have one for the second question I can’t find it.

A flat roof is marked if it is greater than 100 sq ft.

or if it is >90 sq ft(flat) and the home is 900 sq ft

or if it is >80 sq ft(flat) and the home is 800 sq ft ect.

a non-hip is marked if any other roof shapes(non flat or hip) is greater than 10% of the perimeter

We had a 30ft gable today, with greater than 300 ft perimeter
We marked hip

Hope that helps

No offense intended I know you know what you are doing and still my interpretation of the exact wording of question 5 does not lead me to the same conclusion. It is not that either of us is wrong, the question is wrong.

No offense but I understand what you mean:shock:

I want to explain why. The question asks if the flat area is 10% of the entire roof if 100 sq. ft is less than 10%. If it is then you must calculate the square footage of the roof surface add the square footage of the flat roof then divide by 10 to determine the 10% that the flat roof must exceed in order to make it theflat roof answer. The way the question is worded, the pitch of the roof comes into play because it also says entire roof and since we are dealing with sq. ftage on the one I have to believe we are talking sq. ftage on the other. That’s how I came up with the 115.5 sq ft answer for my first question on a 960 sq. ft home. The other flat roof question simply lacks an answer on the form since it isn’t A. and B. excludes flat roofs and C. it isn’t large enough to apply. Insanity. I need to win the lottery and retire to Costa Rica where I won’t bother anyone with my reality.

so if you have a 2000 sq ft all hip area with a 190 sq ft flat then you have a hip roof.

You should call citizens underwriter dept. with that riddle. They will tell you to mark unknown.

No, no, no that is how you do a re inspection.

Not according to State Farm. If it has 100 SQ ft Flat section they are calling it “Flat”

Also I was informed that State Farm does not extend the FBC credit for tile roof coverings because it was not a part of the intial wind relative study from which the mitigation items for discount were derived.

Oddly enough, this same wind mitigation study references the fact that a flat roof section should be 900 SQ Ft before considered to effect the overall roof geometry classification.

That state farm rule is bs. I did a ws for a guy who got a new concrete barrel tile roof in 2010- with all docs/permits/uplift tests, pics, ect… I sent a request to the agent affirming or denying this state farm memo and im waiting to hear back before I issue the FBC credit, or not. I just feel like a douchebag putting unknown like the OIR would recommend. I will share the official results when I find out. I have spoke with underwriters at Citizens, Universal, and officials at the OIR regarding this issue and the consesus is that nobody even thought to look at the tests listed on #2- The only direction I got was to mark unknown.

As I see it the answer to the riddle is very simple.

The entity that authorized the form should also provide written guidelines on how to interpret and complete the form (maybe even a formal training course). Until then everything is just someones opinion.

a “form” course would be appropriate, otherwise you could re-inspect 100 times if you change interpretation each time

The way I am interpreting the form would be to mark C for flat roof if there is a flat bigger then 100 ft that is structurally attached and ALSO mark A or B depending on if its hip or something else.

The whole thing is a sham and we all know it. We just do not do them anymore. Too much liability and not enough benefit. It has costs us some jobs but frankly at this point I do not care. It should not be done at the same time as a home inspection IMO. Less than 5% of the homes have everything they need to get a good clean Wind Mit inspection. Very few have any opening protection. I had one client weeks ago that the insurance company insisted she upgrade the home before she even owned it. The insurance companies and their agents do not even know what in the hell they want.

Im with Doug. Insurance inspections and Home inspections are in conflict with eachother. I prefer to avoid doing them together

There is no unknown catagory for the roof geometry question. I want to ammend the form to read instead of unknown or undetermined to Who Cares!

The only one who got it right was Greg!

I agree, there will be no correct answers. Not even when the “entity” gives them to us if we are still using this form.