Bill 1851 to License HI in Puerto Rico

Saludos John:

I’m glad that I get in touch with a Hermano Boricua that could probably could give us a hand.

I’m trying to get some information in reference to the relation/experience of CIAPR Florida Chapter and Inspectors in Florida.

Yesterday Jay Schwartz wrote me that he will call me, http://www.nachi.org/forum/showthread.php?t=14076&page=6 (repplies 87 and 88) but I don’t know if he will call with that info base on my Post on Florida Bill.

I’ll appreciate all support tht you guys could give us, also to sned any Support email, or experience with Engineers around US to the following address, inspectores_licenciados@warcpm.com.

'This information will be submitted to NACHI Office I’m just trying to consolidate some information in order to give Mary a hand.

Mary is not alone, at least here in PR, for me it is a pleasure to work with her and help her on this situation (es todo un Bufeo estar con ella).

The most important thing here is that, she is being heard in some different levels of our goverment and the most funny is that she’s not screaming, she is just telling to everyone JUST the TRUHT with her usual smile on her face.

Once you get to PR give us a visit at our facilities in Caguas, we have different sessions and I think your comments will be helpfull to our students and I now Mary will like to talk to you.

We have on schedule a session that will start on April 14, hope you could be there for this, just for a while…

Saludos,

William

You got a Beautiful and nice Name, same as my wife!!!

Snow White didn’t died thanks to the 7 dwarves…

Can you imagine Mary with 10 times the number of dwarves Snow White got?

Thanks for your Support…

From earlier posts, I was under the impression that you folks were in favor of licensing. It is encouraging to see that there is opposition. I hope there is time for you to quickly organize a legitimate effort to fight your bill.

Best of luck to you.

James:

You are right we ae in favor of licensing specially Bill PS1851, the other Bill just consider engineers as the only capable to perform HI.

the message you reply from DonQuique is probably from PR or NY or FL, but appear not to be a NACHI Member and personally don’t understand his position since all posts and replies are just sentences and had never read his real position in favor of which scenarios Engineers are the only capable to perform HI Yes or No, and to explain.

William

Then you must accept all that comes with it, sir.

Licensing is a means of allowing the state to control the profession and choose, for the consumer, what the qualifications should be for one to inspect their home.

To say that you are “for licensing” and would support a bill that would eliminate some of your competition as long as it does not eliminate you is hardly a position that will garner you much support from NACHI or anyone else, IMO.

The problem here James is that we have two Bills, one if just for Engineers to perform the HI, and the other, the one I support is to have HI’s Certified, which includes engineers, performing HI. This besides some other situations that locally move us to support this Bill since a previous Law that was created requiring a License Inspectors when we don’t have Licenses Inspector in the island.

Is like a construction for a house without foundation, our Representatives/Senators create the House but forgot the foundation.

William

"DonQuique is probably from PR or NY or FL, but appear not to be a NACHI Member "

I am a member of NACHI but for some reason this account is not linked to the NACHI account.

To answer your questions one by one. I am a RUM graduate with a bachelor degree in Mechanical Engineering. Went to NY and obtained a MS in Environmental Engineering. I currently live in Florida and work as a Civil Engineer (drainage, subdivision design, construction, yadda, yadda, yadda). I also taken home inspection courses here in Florida (IFREC).

My official position is that I oppose licensing in any way shape or form. Heck I even oppose licensing for engineers (I have three PE licenses). I am not fond on the Puerto Rico engineers college since you have to belong to that organization in order to have the PE license in Puerto Rico (it is actually a law to belong to the CIAPR to have the PE license in Puerto Rico).

Good luck trying to get a response from the CIAPR Florida chapter, I never gotten one on different issues.

As I said earlier I could care less about my competition as long as I can generate enough business for myself. I do not even advertise.

I view licensing as paying bribes to the goverment. Who the hell is the goverment to decide how I as an individual carries business? I dont know about you but I am not a communist and believe I in free enterprise.

As for engineers practicing home inspection - Why not as long as they have proper training. I could have setup shop without any training, however, I decided to pay up and take some courses. However, I feel that this should be an individual choice that should not be imposed by the board and the goverment.

Don Quique:

As we said here in PR, “me quito el sombrero” (take off my hat).

That’s a Summary that I was trying to get from anyone who really know about this and also had some reference and/or knowledge on our bussiness here in PR.

During the day I’ve been sharing also with another engineer from PR, Mr. Acaron, getting almost the same line.

Base on your lines, I’ll never get an answer or reference from Florida Chapter, not surprised at all since is the same way they work here in PR.

Now that you hit on the point, base on your lines, I invite you to write to the email account created inspectores_licenciados@warcpm.com and sent us that type of opinion. I must tell you that those emails will be delivered to our Chapter Office and could reach legislators offices. We will need your name and either phone or address. THIS IF YOU FEEL CONFORTABLE, but for us could be very helpful.

I’m not looking for just people that agree with us, as our Chapter President’s Goal this is for ALL inspectors here in PR and those like you that could get back sometime, just all type of comments or inputs that I know could help on this in either way, but we need to resolve this and we are working for that to happen.

Once again Thanks, (Le agradezco el tiempo invertido y la sinceridad.)

Saludos,

William A. ROsario

It’s probably a good source of income for them and also they have a set of guidelines (minimum) that should be followed for the protection of the public against “crooks” who would otherwise take advantage of them.

Similar as to why doctors, airline pilots, police all of whom have a higher authority looking out and over them.

If we didn’t have rules and guidelines, might as well call it “communist”

Mic

Hello to all…HI not only in Puerto Rico;

Well well well… yes we are in favor of licensing not by choice but because HERE IN PUERTO RICO (la vida es mas sabrosa) life is a little more complicated. Either we decide to have a license our way or the CIAPR’s way; so we choose to have it our way.

Just a little bit of history of some of the things that we have accomplished in P.R. in 1 year;

1-Nachi Chapter that started with 2 members Juan and Mary Ayuso.
2-Training Inspectors one at a time now we have trained over 300.
3- 5 trained profesors.
4- 85 members and growing…

And of course the CIAPR has sued me in my personal capacity and know included NACHI; I guess it is because we are a very strong voice.
As always I do appreciate all the support and like William Rosario said we need more much more. I belive we can make more things happen as time goes by.
Hope all NACHI members that read this thread send email’s in support of Bill P.S. # 1851 to larce@senadopr.us …yes they do understand english.

Thank you again;
Mary F. Ayuso

Dude, it’s lonely, but you’re not alone.

You got that completely bassackwards, comrade.