Bill Mullen's new website is very professional looking.

Brian writes:

[/FONT]

Let’s take Bill’s logos one at a time:

CAHPI:

• I don’t know for sure what CAHPI requires but it is my understanding that it is quite a bit.
    OAHI:

• Again, I don’t know for sure what OAHI requires but it is my understanding that it is quite a bit.
    CMI:

• Completing 1,000 fee-paid inspections or hours of inspection-related continuing education (combined) in their lifetime.

• Proving they’ve been in the inspection business for at least 3 years.

• Abiding by the industry’s toughest Code of Ethics.

• Substantially following a Board approved Standards of Practice such as CAPHI.

• Submitting to a criminal background check.

• Applying for Board certification by signing the affidavit in front of a Notary.

InterNACHI:

• A 1-hour exam with 120 questions.

• A short course with 26 questions.

• A long quiz with 156 questions.

• A 3-hour course.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• A 100 question exam.

• A 4-hour course.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another 100 question exam.

• Another 4-hour course.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another 65 question exam.

• Another 4-hour course.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another 70 question exam.

• Another 4-hour course.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another 2 hour course.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• A 65 question exam.

• A mini-course.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another mini-course.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another mini-course.

• Another quiz.

• Another mini-course.

• Another quiz.

• Another 8-hour course.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another 8-hour course.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Another quiz.

• Mock inspections.

• 8 hours of advanced coursework.

• Annual re-testing.

• 24 hours of continuing education each year.

• And many other requirements.
    Infrared Certified:

• You or your inspection company must own, lease or be renting an infrared camera.

• You must be a member in good standing of InterNACHI. Membership requirements above.

• You must have taken InterNACHI’s free, online Green Building Course, taken all its quizzes, and passed its final exam.

• You must have taken at least 16 hours (2 days) of continuing education devoted to infrared cameras/thermal imagery or building science (not including the mandatory green building course).
    Wow!!! I’d hire Bill to inspect for me any day of the week!

Interesting site.

Nick, Nick!!

Take time to read the threads. That post was not talking about Bill’s site!!!

**Why are you guys so jealous of Nachi? :roll: **

It appears that INACHI’s never ending benefits to its members may be the reason :nachi:.

My advice: if you can’t beat them, join them!

Surely, an ex CAHPI president and NCP chairman can’t be wrong …

Unless the Property is in PA.

But…, Bill’s prices to travel to PA may be less than my rates for the same inspection…

You get what you pay for…

I don’t know… U.S. dollar is pretty weak. I’ll take less Canadian money.

Hey Rudolf!

Apparently you haven’t noticed that INACHI has a Canadian branch organization. Canadians inspectors can manufacture their own ‘solutions’ under the INACHI banner without living in fear, as apparently you do, of our American Brothers.

Or are you one of those who refuse to drive a Ford or G.M. because they are ‘American’ companies ? Sounds almost racist to me.

I can honestly say that the Canadians I met while in Kingston were some of the NICEST and MOST PROFESSIONAL individuals I have has the pleasure to meet and teach. I am flattered that Bill took the time, and has the confidence and drive to invite me back to Canada, to London Ontario, to do it again.

Mr Ruesse is entitled to his opinion, and he is correct that success in this industry is not contingent on belonging to any association. Membership in an association doesnt hinder one either. If someone is happy with their membership, and perceives any value in it, they will renew year after year. Some benefits are intangible. Some are in black and white.

Regardless, unless we wake up as an industry, we will forever fight each other for the crumbs left over in the wake of the real estate transaction. Our inspections average around 1/10th of 1% of the total value of the deal. It is pathetic.

THIS, above all, is what we, as a profession, need to start concentrating on. Nothing else matters.

I don’t know Mr. Joe Farsetta personally - but I certainly agree with the content of his latest posting in this matter one hundred percent!

Rudolf Reusse - Home Inspector since 1976 - TORONTO

Thanks Rudolf. I second that.

Also, I see you have been an inspector since 1976. I’d like to know what your fees were back then. My intent is to correct that number for inflation and calculate what our fees as an industry today should be if we never gave ourselves a raise and only charged what you charged in 1976 corrected for inflation.

Also, Rudolf, will we get to meet at www.nachi.org/toronto2008.htm ?

Find me when you get there and sit at my table. I like to talk to the guys who have been in it as long as you have been.

Diploma mills and easy certifications at little cost (NACHI) will flood the field (already saturated with HI’s in urban centers) with more and more inspectors…then it will be a fight to the finish with prices dropping.

From a local franchisor’s website:

Testimonial…
“With the excellent support from the Head Office I have sold more franchises in the first six months than I gave myself three years to sell. There are a lot of people who want to become home inspectors- Head Office shows you how to sell them franchises. It has been that simple and straight forward for me.”
Notice my underlined sentence… **Great for Vendors…terrible for all the wannabes. **Feel sorry for these new franchisees!! The franchisor is obviously doing well…but the buyers???

I’ve seen 2 of the first 3-4 NACHI NS members from 1-2 years ago drop off the NACHI certified list already and a third works for an engineering firm…keeping his day job for real income!! Sounds like maybe a 25% success rate or if there were only 3 early members…a 0% success rate!!!

The easy certification is like the first hit of crack…“Man, this stuff is good and easy” Now they have to get experience (Hey what!!! They’re already certified, aren’t they?) and then compete in a very crowded marketplace…Good luck!! As Roy Cooke truthfully said: “70-90% are out of business in 3 years!!!” That’s why the turnover on these boards is so high!!

To quote from a member that posts frequently after an announcement from Nick that there was another approved INACHI CMI “school” in Canada:

“Exactly what we didn’t need in Canada: another diploma mill .”

Yes, there’s a lot to learn yet, Nick! This field needs to be regulated as are engineers, doctors, lawyers, hairdressers, etc.

Note: My opinion is from 27 years of experience. First house inspected for others was in 1981. Bought the company I presently own from an engineer and engineering technician in 1984.

Brian, InterNACHI is now the largest trainer in the inspection industry and the undisputed leading provider of advanced education.

The overall expertise of our industry is inversely related to the cost of attaining that expertise.

Let me say that again as it is an important point:

The overall expertise of our industry is inversely related to the cost of attaining that expertise.

I am very pleased that you acknowledge InterNACHI’s success at keeping that cost down, however, your belief that lower cost education and training relates some how to a lack of overall expertise instead of more expertise… shows all that your thinking is backwards and upside down.

The more training and advanced education we make available to the industry, and the more convenient and inexpensive we make it, the more inspectors avail themselves of it… and the better our industry becomes to the benefit of consumers everywhere.

Your last statement is somewhat true but…each year your organization needs the revolving merry-go-round of hundreds and hundreds of wannabes being led to believe that it’s a snap to be a long term successful home inspector to keep the vendor wheel running also. Some of the main posters are …you guessed it…VENDORS!!! I’m here to help you…BUY THIS!!!

Brian,

Your distaste for InterNACHI is obvious, and has skewed each and ever response you make, no matter the thread.

Perhaps you should stop yelling to the trees and concentrate on the context of the message posted, instead of swinging wildly at anything NACHI.

You characterize diploma mills, easy certifications, etc. While some, if not many, educational providers may do this, not all do. If you bothered to attend my Certified Well Sampler seminar, and took the final exam, you’d know a little of what you speak.

Same goes for Certified Commercial Inspector. I do not pretend to be able to teach everything one needs to know, from a technical standpoint, when performing an inspection. I take the other approach; eg: operational readiness and procedural competence. I dont ever hear you mention other education providers as not fullfilling their marketed promises; only when NACHI does.

My classes are highly rated, and my prices are unheard of. I do it BECAUSE of the long-standing relationship I have had with Nick and with NACHI. He understands there is a price for me doing this, and a benefit for all NACHI members. This is clear to see. it is not an intangible.

Your baseless attacks only serve to dillute whatever legitimate messages you try to convey.

Eventually, every ear tunes out the whining. Even yours.

I remain

PS: from a CMI on another new thread:

***“Better yet, pay the money, study FOR REAL, and get ICC certified.”

ICC Certification carries its own perils.

What nationally recognized associations (ASTM, NIST, NSF, Consumers’ Reports.org, Consumers Assoc of Canada) recognize your above certifications?

Whch ones recognize anyones, unless compensated for said endorsement?

Up here, Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation, our fererally funded national housing agency, has funded/supported/promoted (but not formally through regulation) CAHPI and its credentials.

And in your quote of my question, you removed “colleges/universities”!! As these institutions offer the training, they must have felt there is enough academic rigor in the courses to offer and stand behind them!!