Blankets in the attic?

Originally Posted By: osmith
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I need to tap into some infinite wisdom:

I did an inspection today and when I inspected the attic, I saw several baby crib size blankets lying aound. There were about 6 of them primarily up against the outer edges of the attic. They were neat and dry and nothing appeared wrong underneath. Any ideas why they would be there?

Thanks

Oscar

--
Dreams without action stay dreams.

Originally Posted By: ekartal

Cover up holes in the soffit to keep bees out. icon_eek.gif

Erol Kartal

Originally Posted By: ckratzer

Why not ask the home owner if he or she is available icon_question.gif

Cheremie

Thats a good question to ask, but…the owners have lived there for over 15 years and had never seen or been in the attic. I was thinking last night that the blankets may have been put there to keep the drafts from the soffit vents from disturbing the blown in insulation?

I'm so confused.

Oscar

--

Originally Posted By: rharrington

I’m a new inspector so this is an inexperienced opinion. Inspectors only report on the conditions. As to why the blankets are there HI’s don’t really care. Is the soffit, ventilation or insulation impaired in anyway? Is it a safety hazard or environmental hazard I’m sure there is more to consider here but these come to mind right immediately. If I suspected a problem under the blankets I would try to find a way to check it out. If no problem found I just comment that they be moved to allow proper attic ventilation.

Any criticism over the about will be taken as an opportunity for me to learn.

Thanks,
Rick

--
Rick A. Harrington
Central Ohio Home Inspections
www.patchhomeinspections.com

Rick,

For the most part I would agree with everything you have said. However; the more inspections I do the more the more I learn. Some things make sense and some things don't. Some things aren't necessarily wrong, but they are not common. If I close my eyes and only see black and white, I am less likely to feed my need of knowledge. I happen to be a knowledge freak, so I always want to learn something from something new. When I'm done doing what I do (whenever that is), I want to be able to recall and convey as much of the knowledge and experience I have gained to the next generation of Inspectors. This message board is a great place to pick up knowledge.

Oscar

P.S. By the way, it was a relative's home so I have a little extra incentive.

--

Originally Posted By: rharrington

Oscar,

Ok, it wasn't a question of reporting... you just wanted to know. Sorry for the confusion. Now that you've put it that way..... I'd like to know who was thinking what when they put them there.

Hopefully one day you'll be able to post the answer.

Thanks,

Rick

--
Rick A. Harrington
Central Ohio Home Inspections
www.patchhomeinspections.com

Originally Posted By: eporter

Keep in mind that as HI’s, we are looking for cause and effect, as well as snap shot conditions of the home at the time of the inspection.

The answers listed above are obvious and good choices, and it sounds like you did the right things by looking underneath the blankets, and identifying the location. Hopefully, you reported what you saw and explained that you could not determine why the blankets were there.

When things are out of place (baby blankets laid out in an attic, for example), or very done in an unusual way, it typically means that something is wrong and someone is trying to hide it, or is attempting to fix it. Not always, but usually.

My opinion: we owe it to our clients to take that extra step. We also owe it to our liabilty if we don't.

--
------------------------------------------------
"Inspecting this home like I'm buying it myself."

Ed Porter
Cornerstone Home Inspection Services, Inc.
Grand Haven, MI