Boiler Coil for Domestic Hot Water

Originally Posted By: jfasano
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

This is a repost from March 31, in the HVAC section. I did not get any responses there so I will try here. I know I am guilty of just reading the General Inspection Discussion on most visits. Many times I only read the other sections when I am looking for an answer to a specific question or to educate myself on something I saw that day that I need to understand better.

My question is:

I see oil fired boilers with a 3 or 5 gallon internal coil in them that is the only source of year round domestic hot water which also includes the laundry and dishwasher. The 3 to 5 gallon rating is not the actual size of the coil but an out put rating and the size of the coil is usually unknown.
What comments, call outs or disclaimers should I be making when I see this setup.

--
John Fasano
Knockout Home Inspections
www.mycertifiedinspector.com

Originally Posted By: jcampbell

John,

This is very common in the northeast... I see it daily. What we are seeing an increase in are the presence of Boilermates (made by Armtrol) which are tied into same boilers as an additional "zone"... a larger supply of water (as large as 60 gallons) is now heated by the boiler for larger families. so you can approach it two ways...

1. Point out that the boiler at present will put out a limited amount of hot water (multiple users not recommended) and/or
2. Suggest if your larger families were using the system, adding the Boilermate will boost the supply of water to the home.

Personally, we have just the single coil, for the past 16 years.. 4 of us in the home... not a big deal... back to back to back showers is not recommended, nor showers at the same time as dishwasher or washing machine... but for most part, it has not been an issue for us... you adjust.

hope this helps...

Jeff

--
Jeffrey S. Campbell
http://www.maineshomeinspector.com

Thanks Jeff, Do you make a disclaimer about the condition of the coil? I know that over time they can start to clog, loosing surface area and become less efficient. And what about holes or cracking,are they reasonable concerns?

John Fasano

Originally Posted By: dvalley

David Valley

MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Thanks Dave, That statement seems to cover it all.

John Fasano