Bonding?

Are you guys checking elec. furnaces and wh’s as part of the new requirements or is that not possible?

Richard,

What new requirement are you speaking of?

Texas’ stuff Paul…

Richard, the rule states that Texas HI’s must report as deficient “[FONT=Verdana][size=2]appliances and metal pipes that are not bonded or grounded;” so I include all permanently installed, conductive chassis (i.e. metal) appliances including stove, oven, microwave, dishwasher, furnace, water heater, garbage compacter, refrigerator, etc.
[/size][/FONT]

lol…ok but last I checked “Bonding” did cross state lines…thehehehe…

Yes, but do any other state or trade association SOP’s require that to be inspected and reported on? I’m pretty sure Texas is the only one. Many inspectors may go beyond whatever SOP they follow and inspect & report this however. Also, please remember we are in the Texas section of the message board so topics may be fairly well focused here.

Are you saying that the TREC requirement is to ensure bonding of vent pipes as well?

Basically, if the appliance has a circuit running to it and it has a equipment grounding conductor run to the appliance ( be it cord and plug or direct wire ) that the NEC would cover this under 250.104. Seems a bit excessive to have a texas real estate board try to leap above other national standards…excessive power?

Read post #4 and interpret that however you see it. Yes, excessive power is the likely culprit here. The Inspector’s Advisory Committee is developing a Commentary for the new SOP and that may clarify questions like yours, or it may not.

[quote=“mboyett, post:4, topic:37636”]

Richard, the rule states that Texas HI’s must report as deficient “[FONT=Verdana][size=2]appliances and metal pipes that are not bonded or grounded;” so I include all permanently installed, conductive chassis (i.e. metal) appliances including stove, oven, microwave, dishwasher, furnace, water heater, garbage compacter, refrigerator, etc.

[/size][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][size=2]So you are checking the refrigerator even though it’s not required to be inspected at all?
[/size][/FONT]

No, I would though if it were a high end, built-in SubZero, Thermador, Viking or similar.