Bootleg ground lauguage?

What report language do you use when bootleg grounds are observed? TIA

Is it a verified “bootleg,” or a false ground indication on your SureTest?

I don’t rely on SureTest. I just remove a cover and look !

What is bootleg mean? Never heard of the therminology in reference to electrical! Thanks ! I’m a student learning.

Circuits were verified to have a false, or “bootleg” ground. This is a potentially hazardous condition where the neutral conductor is also being used as the equipment-grounding conductor. This condition should be evaluated by a qualified electrician, and serviced accordingly.

Sweet. :smiley:

Good description Jeff, however, you may want to add that this puts voltage on what should normally be non-current carrying parts and could result in shock or worse. This may help to reinforce the potential hazard you already called out.

How about this. . .

1 Like

Here is a photo of a very neatly done (but very incorrect) bootleg ground.

Here’s another:

BOOTLEG GROUND1 (Small).jpg

Is this one???

Is Buckwheat a Pseudocereal](http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudocereal)?

Yeah, but it is the ‘insulated’ version :slight_smile:

I hate to admit it but I can’t tell from this description what a bootleg ground is. I thought it was when a branch circuit has no equipment grounding conductor, the receptacle is bonded to the metal box in which it is housed (probably a proper term for that box). The metal box has enough mass to cause the meter to read “grounded receptacle”.
So how does bonding the neutral terminal of the receptacle cause the neutral to bond to non-current carrying components?

OK, I just read on another thread that a bootleg is bonding the neutral and the ground at the receptacle only, not what I just described. Does what I just described cause a meter to read falsely?