Borescope inspections

What types of uses are you using a borescope for in home inspections? Heat exchangers, leaks above drop in ceilings? Looking for general uses/comments please.

I never used a borescope. I didn’t want to go that deep into the inspection…especially heat exchangers. Some cracks can take a 1/2 hour or more to open up.

Way beyond the SOP, for me.

2 Likes

Welcome back to our forum Rick!..Enjoy! :smile:

Like Larry I never get that involved in a home inspection. I do photograph the inside of the ducts with my phone from the register if I see corrosion on the register. I can usually find something that looks like mold and upsell a mold inspection.

Larry,

Thank you. It’s nice to hear from inspectors that feel the same way that I do. I live in an area where inspectors are going well beyond what is required. I currently look at heat exchangers, if visible, for debris and such but certainly not for cracks. That, as you said, goes well beyond our SOP and really could ask for some major trouble.

I was thinking more along the lines of getting a better picture of any debris that I can see currently with a mirror and really hard to get a decent picture of it at times. I was thinking about looking under drop in ceiling tiles with it. I often run into ceiling tiles that you cannot remove or lift really without possible damage, yet times I find prior moisture stains on the tile. I like to see if it is possibly a waterline leak or maybe something condensation related.

I’m sure that I could find other uses for it, just trying to justify the purchase.

Thanks for the feedback, it helps a great deal.

Rick Huber
Dakota Professional Home Inspections, LLC.

PO Box 594 Alcester, SD 57001
605-300-0027

www.dakotaprohomeinspections.com

1 Like

Thanks Martin. Appreciate the feedback

1 Like

Hi Rick, there are some inexpensive borescopes that won’t break the bank. I have one from the dreaded HF and use it occasionally. Worth having for that odd time when you think wish I had that with me. LOL. Extensions from other brands will fit and most are made in China anyway. I wouldn’t spend a fortune on one.

Thanks Steven. I have that same question during inspections from time to time. I do many older homes and I guess men back then were small and skinny as most attic access openings are super small. Many have built up sides for additional insulation and I can’t even get my hand and camera high enough for decent pictures. I know I can just state that access was not possible but if I was the client, I would kind of like to know at least somewhat the condition of the attic. This should be able to get better pictures and views in that case.