branch circuit in service box

There is two sheathed branch circuits passing through the service box side of this combination panel. Issues with this?

PICT0238 (Small).JPG

There is no requirement for maximum amount of sheathing in the panelboard.

Might want to recommend re-marking the white wire attached to the breaker, though.

Mark, that is not permitted in BC or elsewhere in Canada. :stuck_out_tongue:

This is allowed south o’ the border only. The metal barrier you see there is unique to Canadian panels AFAIK and is to block branch circuits from the service entry portion of the panel.
A home owner probably installed that cable for a hot tub. Call for repair. The electrician will reroute the wire and strip the insulation properly, too.

A yes, Canada.

Can you be more specific what is not permitted for we’uns south of the border.

Thanks. :slight_smile:

awesome thanks

I’m no expert. :stuck_out_tongue:

Here’s some differences I know. In Canada, (not the USA),
1.Grounds are never terminated on the neutral bus. Never.
2. No branch wiring in the service portion of the panel.
3. Never more than 12 outlets or lights on a 15 amp branch circuit.
4. AFCI in new construction only required for bedroom wall outlets. Lights are optional.
5. Kitchen counter outlets - 20 amp GFCI either side of the sink. The rest can be on a standard 20 Amp breaker or they can be 15 amp split duplex like the old way.
6. Service wires never cross a roof. They cross at the eaves or gables only. They will put in another pole or hang a bridle between poles to achieve this.
7. Clearance hts from the ground and driveway are higher too. They seem to think it snows more up here! :stuck_out_tongue:

1. Stab-Lok panels under the name of Federal Pioneer are sold in Canada, and are at least as common as SquareD. Both owned by Schnieder Electric.
    "Description
    The Stab-lok circuit breaker system continues to set the industry standard for durable connections. With the Stab-lok system, the stab actually expands under load: working to increase surface contact area and pressure, automatically cooling the connection.

Even better, Federal Pioneer continues to design the Stab-lok system on the principle of Progress without Obsolescence; today’s circuit breakers will be accepted by enclosures you installed yesterday, today and tomorrow."

Larry, if I understand correctly in Canada only the service entrance conductors should be behind the barrier around the main breaker. Branch circuit conductors are not allowed.

Caveat, I am not all that familiar with the CEC.

I would call this out on my report. Romex wiring should go through knockouts on the panel box and be secured with proper connectors.

That is an internal divider inside the enclosure. You cannot see whether the cable is secured to the enclosure properly or not.

Thanks gentlemen.