Brick erosion

Originally Posted By: sstanczyk
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I am having a problem figuring out why these bricks are deteriorating. They are located on the bottom two layers on both sides of the garage. This is in Santa Barbara, CA. No freezing involved. No water intrusion. Overhang covers area, roof drains elsewhere.

It almost looks like erosion by a river. As you can see in the 3rd photo, it has taken the whole bottom brick all the way back to the framing. The 1st and 2nd photo show how the 2nd layer has rounded off in the middle of the brick. It is not soft and there is no dust or sediment on the sidewalk around the bricks. Any ideas? ![icon_question.gif](upload://t2zemjDOQRADd4xSC3xOot86t0m.gif)

Originally Posted By: lkage

A heavy handed power washer perhaps?

Originally Posted By: rfarruggia

I’ve seen this before. The guys around NYC will recognize this same brick (but not mortar) deterioration on either side of the lower courses of the brick walls in the “trenches”, that stretch of the BQE between Atlantic and Hamilton Pl. in Brooklyn. I’ll take a photo next time I’m there.

It might be from corrosive vehicle exhaust gasses.

Originally Posted By: bsmith

Quote:
It might be from corrosive vehicle exhaust gasses.

I thought that it was the result of rock salt, but you might be right Raymond.

Originally Posted By: clawrenson

As an architectural designer and construction specification writer - bricks below grade are often subject to the extremes of water infiltration and depending on temperature - freeze and thaw cycles. Bricks are not normally suited for below grade applications. Additionally this appears to be a soft clay brick, and may be subject to deterioration - much easier that a hard clay brick.

Originally Posted By: pbolliger

100_2117.JPG )

Do you think I should just monitor for future degradation? ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Originally Posted By: rcooke

That Looks like a brick building ( Not Brick veneer) to me .

If so I would make repairs as required on a continuing basis.

Roy sr.

I forgot :

The "quality" of the bricks , process in mfg. have a lot to do with how a brick will hold up through the years. There are many variables that determine the quality. I have the old time Chicago Brick that lasted close to 100 years yet the spalling is getting very bad is some areas. Water is the number one killer for me. Freezing and thawing , Efflorescence and no drain tile to begin with. Brick foundation walls that are below grade with no water proofing. Didn't have it in those days. ![icon_sad.gif](upload://nMBtKsE7kuDHGvTX96IWpBt1rTb.gif)

rcooke wrote:
That Looks like a brick building ( Not Brick veneer) to me .
If so I would make repairs as required on a continuing basis.

Roy sr.

Oh yes sir.. Roy
Not a verneer on this place.. .. A real brick building but with a twist... Not your average construction.. Wood (balloon framing) on top of this wall... 1890 ish .

Originally Posted By: mcyr

icon_smile.gif icon_smile.gif

Patrick;

I believe Roy was making the comment on the picture you supplied;

A real Brick Building falling apart. Not a brick veneer.

Next note;

And I don't need to be an Architect to evaluate the these pics are clay bricks hard or soft.

You might need to inform youself about Citadell Bricks from Canada, and/or Morin/Lachance brick from Gorham, Maine.

We have bricks that don't come apart in less than 100 years.

I believe I would check the source of the bricks in question, and report them to a real brick manufacturer.

Marcel

Nope Nope and Nope. No water problems at all. No freeze and thaw. Highly unlikely local dog…her kennel with 5 dogs is 10 feet away and they scare the bejezzus out of any wandering mutts. Her dogs don’t have access to that corner. This is a veneer and not below grade. The bricks are just set on the cement slab foundation and the sidewalk was poured up to the foundation.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks,

Steve

Originally Posted By: phinsperger

Steve,

A few questions,

1) Are the affected bricks only above areas that have a walkway?

2) Is the garage attached or detatched from the house?

3) Does the house appear to have the same brick veneer as the garage going down to the same level but not showing any errosion?

4) What percentage of the bricks in lower two courses are affected to some degree or another?

5) If the house is in CA and you are in WA, what is your connection to this property? Did you inspect this personally or is it second hand information.

--

Paul Hinsperger
Hinsperger Inspection Services
Chairman - NACHI Awards Committee
Place your Award Nominations
here !

Paul,

The bricks are in three different locations. They are located on both sides of the garage, one by a sidewalk, one by a planter. The other brick location is under the front windows, protected by the eaves and has a brick paver and/or a planter area in front of them.

Double car garage is attached but has only ever had a single car parked in the middle..

The only other area with brick is around the windows facing the same direction.

Probably 25-30 percent of the lower two courses of brick are affected. No higher than 2nd course.

Sisters house. Did an inspection for her.....Hope she doesn't think the bills she will have are a scrooge like present. Almost ran out of ink on my notepad.

Steve