Brilliant idea

It was simply a brilliant idea to allow non-members to post to these forums.

Now, not only do I have to wade through spam ads selling me crap every third thread, I also get to read the latest mental diarrea overflowing from the canadian board.

Now it is infecting the tech threads - which is really one of the last useful things left here (that and RR’s marketing posts.)

Simply brilliant.

Yep…one of the reasons I quit coming here last year. And you can bet, nothing will be done about it.

Oh this is ridiculous! What is this crap about someoone on EVERY damn thread, in every category!! this is aggravating.

I’m really gettin’ the hang of this “Ignore” feature. Works like a charm. Fun too.

Where the hell is the oversight that is supposed to remove spam?

I’d use ignore, but I can’t find the right spot to click for everything north of Buffalo.

Hey Kent,

This is completely off topic, but so is every other thread. Have you been doing any jobs in Mexico? I just got back yesterday from doing one in “Real Del Mar” Baja California, Mexico. It’s in the Marriott complex just past the first toll booth. It’s amazing what the prices have done down there lately. 2100’sf on slab, 3 bed, 3 bath, living room, dining room, 2 car attached garage with a pretty good ocean view - $380,000 USD. There even getting conventional 20-30 year loans from GE Capital and title insurance through Stewart Title.

Kinda tough to line 'em up from Colorado, Will. I’m still trying to improve my marketing skills. Haven’t cracked the market at all.

To All

Anyone Having A Problem With The Canadian Section Of This Board,or Canadians For That Matter Can Take Kenton’s Advice And Use The Ignore Button.

Joe, It Seems To Me That Everyone Is Starting A Thread To Criticize Us.you Are No Different. In Fact I Think The Guys That Initiate Such Threads, Are The Biggest Contributers Of So Called Spam.

Thats not entirely the point Mario.

Look at threads thats are discussing this issue and you will see that in certain circumstances it allows clients and potential clients to see the childish behavour…

A bigger picture, at least for me.

Kenton

Can you and Joe get together,and instruct him on how to use his ignore button.

Brian

I understand everyone’s concerns about clients potentionally reading posts from Canadian section as of late.One thing that you have to understand is that we have had non-members threatening members [canadian] and things just got a little heated. I think that the worse is over.

What I don’t understand is why members are starting threads, and polls over this.I think it’s a non issue[now]. I have even seen several posts about members openly debating membership renewal!! Now this is over reacting in my opinion.

Whenever I push that ignore “update” button I feel a brief moment of victory. Hey, they’re off the boards (for me anyway) and there’s nothing they can do about it until I decide to let them off the hook. I have total control over their ability to post :twisted: ](*,) .
My only regret is that the person doesn’t know I’m doing it.

Kenton

This is why I personally don’t use it! Besides I would like to know [good or bad] everything that is being said.
I also feel that we should all be more tolerant of others.
</IMG></IMG>

I’m a member of two other forums, subjects having nothing to do with home inspection. One is moderated and one is not. The moderated forum is one on whips. It’s sport-cracking involving single and double-handed routines and target cutting. It’s moderated becasue it’s a sport for all ages and the founders didn’t want S&M people posting there. It feels like a moderated site.

I’m for the free flow of ideas and as far as I’m concerned, putting up with people getting out of hand once in a while is just the price you pay in order to have a free board. If I’m posting something inappropriate I’d rather several core posters jumped on me and let me know (jeez, that sounds familiar somehow) than have BIG BROTHER delete my post and slap my hand. I’m a full grown man. If I’m wrong I’ll take my medicine publicly and get over it. This aint kindergarden which is what the whip site feels like sometimes.

Both those other boards go through cycles similar to those of the NACHI board. New posters come and go, people pursue ideas for a while, then the people or ideas drop away or evolve. It’s a natural ebb and flow of attitudes and ideas. As long as the off-subject stuff stays in one of the appropriate forums… General, Miscellaneous or Not for Everyone Forums, I don’t really care.
That ignore buttton’s always there.

Stay out of the Tech, Ethics, Legal, Marketing, Report Writing and other inspection-specific forums unless you want to talk inspection… please. A little humor’s OK if it relates, but don’t continue off-thread.

Didn’t really mean to go on but that’s why they call them forums.

Whip it good Kent…:smiley:

HOW MANY FORUM MEMBERS DOES IT TAKE TO CHANGE A LIGHT BULB?
>
> 1 to change the light bulb and to post that the light bulb has been
> changed
>
> 14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the
> light bulb could have been changed differently
>
> 7 to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs
>
> 27 to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about changing
> light bulbs
>
> 53 to flame the spell checkers
>
> 41 to correct spelling/grammar flames
>
> 6 to argue over whether it’s “lightbulb” or “light bulb” …
>
> another 6 to condemn those 6 as anal-retentive
>
> 2 industry professionals to inform the group that the proper term
> is “lamp”
>
> 15 know-it-alls who claim they were in the industry, and
> that “light bulb” is perfectly correct
>
> 156 to email the participant’s ISPs complaining that they are in
> violation of their “acceptable use policy”
>
> 109 to post that this group is not about light bulbs and to please
> take this discussion to a lightbulb group
>
> 203 to demand that cross posting to hardware forum, off-topic
forum,
> and lightbulb group about changing light bulbs be stopped
>
> 111 to defend the posting to this group saying that we all use
light
> bulbs and therefore the posts are relevant to this group
>
> 306 to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior,
> where to buy the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs work
> best for this technique and what brands are faulty
>
> 27 to post URL’s where one can see examples of different light
bulbs
>
> 14 to post that the URL’s were posted incorrectly and then post the
> corrected URL’s
>
> 3 to post about links they found from the URL’s that are relevant
to
> this group which makes light bulbs relevant to this group
>
> 33 to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety
including
> all headers and signatures, and add “Me too”
>
> 12 to post to the group that they will no longer post because they
> cannot handle the light bulb controversy
>
> 19 to quote the “Me too’s” to say “Me three”
>
> 4 to suggest that posters request the light bulb FAQ
>
> 44 to ask what is a “FAQ”
>
> 4 to say “didn’t we go through this already a short time ago?”
>
> 143 to say “do a Google search on light bulbs before posting
> questions about light bulbs”
>
> 1 forum lurker to respond to the original post 6 months from now
and
> start it all over again…

Kenton,

Where is that “Whip” forum…:smiley: …I think your pulling our legs…:smiley:

Stay out of the Tech, Ethics, Legal, Marketing, Report Writing and other inspection-specific forums unless you want to talk inspection… please. A little humor’s OK if it relates, but don’t continue off-thread.

Kenton

I agree with your last statement.And I have always maintained that the tech section was/is sacred. Kenton have you visited the members only section? In the last 10 minutes that we have been posting here,yet another thread was started about us Canadians. It has turned into a joke. It seems that everyone is jumping on the band wagon. Personally this is the last thread on this topic that I will respond to.It’s a waste of energy in my opinion.

Check out the whip site after you go, Mario. As off-topic as you can get. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WhipEnthusiasts/

Homepage http://www.whipenthusiasts.org/

No time.