Broadband Phone?

Originally Posted By: jlerch
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Does anyone use a broadband phone service? I’ve been looking them over, and unfortunately none of the companies advertise the down side icon_biggrin.gif

Originally Posted By: mboyett

I’ve been using Vonage since December with very few complaints. I decided to use their $14.95/mo plan to ‘test the waters’ and then maybe go to the $24.95 unlimited plan. I get 500 anytime/anywhere minutes and don’t have any significant complaints right now. I get all the bells and whistles for that amount and can’t think of other features that I’m missing out on. Here’s the downsides…you might loose phone service if you lose power or if your ISP goes down…both pretty low risk. I have a cell phone for those times if they were to ever occur anyway. 911 service can be a little iffy but I did what Vonage said to do to register and set it up properly and hopefully I won’t ever need that feature. How to test it??? I don’t know unless I just dialed 911 to see what happens & I’m not inclined to do that. My only minor complaint is that I hear several loud clicks every now and then when first answering a call & then it goes away in about 2-3 seconds. Other than that I give it a big thumbs up so far!

Mike Boyett

Capital City Inspections

Austin, Tx

www.capcityinspections.com

Thanks Mike,

Since I posted here I found four other people that are using a broadband phone service. None reported a significant problem.

Thanks for your input, this looks like the sensible thing to do.

John

Originally Posted By: rwills

John L.

Just wondering if you tried this service yet? I’ve been scoping it out here: https://cable2phone.nuvio.com/index02.php Thanks, Bob W.

Bob Wills - MAB Chairman

BW Inspection Services

Warminster, Pa.

http://www.bwinspections.com

Originally Posted By: dspencer

I use Packet8 for my phone service $19.95 unlimited!!! Not a single problem and no one can tell the difference. If you decide to use Packet8 let me know and I’ll get you a referal link, I’ll get a free month! Thanks

Originally Posted By: jgibbs

I do not know if this is correct for all VoIP services or not but I know some of them do not have access to 911 calls.

Jim

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

I went to a cell phone only system. This way my phone goes with me everywhere and I always take my calls. I just ported by business number so I got to keep my number.

It’s really worked well for me. I am rarely out of range, and it’s cost effective (only one phone bill).

Thought about vonage, but it wasn’t offered at the time in my area, and I can’t use it unless I’m home.

My internet provider goes down on occassion and that would just suck!

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: gbell

I have used Vonage for over a year. I think it is great. You can forward the calls any time you want. I have an Orlando, Brevard , toll free and fax number for about $65 a month. If the numbers are forwarded you get the call even if your ISP is down.

Greg Bell

Bell Inspection Service

Originally Posted By: gporter

We have adelphia and they lowered the power which makes mine almost impossible to use. My line drops 5 to 10 times a day. Have to go back to bellsouth. icon_cry.gif

B.W…

I use Vonage. Virtually no service difference, except a lower bill and more services including 911. So far it was the right move. icon_smile.gif

Originally Posted By: gjohnson

I am using Lingo as a test and I love it… I am thinking of switchng all my phones to it.

Gary (Snicker’s) Johnson - Free NACHOS

The NACHI Foundation

Executive Director

301-591-9895

Darren, send the link to Packet8, if I use it I’ll drop your name. Thanks, BW

Bob Wills - MAB Chairman

BW Inspection Services

Warminster, Pa.

Originally Posted By: pdacey

jgibbs wrote:
I know some of them do not have access to 911 calls.

Jim

I have found this to be true, or they have unreliable 911 service. I decided not to change because I have little ones in the house and I want to be sure that 911 will work, everytime.

--
Slainte!

Patrick Dacey
swi@satx.rr.com
TREC # 6636
www.southwestinspections.com

For additional safety have a speed dial number set to nearest EMS and show your children how to use this. I have not any trouble with my service and was the cheapest around. I’m saving $60+ a month which easily pays for my broadband!

Darren,

I checked out the Packet8 site and it looks pretty good. The only problem I have is I didn’t see anything stating you can keep your current number. I’d hate to change numbers due to the marketing problem of changing everything to a new number.

Bob Wills - MAB Chairman

BW Inspection Services

Warminster, Pa.

Originally Posted By: lclark

I use U.S. Cellular and what a piece of CRAP.

Today was almost a nice day. was'nt much going on so I took a drive out to the lake. I stopped to talk to an old friend I had'nt' seen for awhile. My phone rang it was some guy from Alaska wanting a home inspection on a house in this area. He explained he was moving back home to teach at the collage.

We talked about the house and the inspection and the cost for 4000 sq ft. I was just getting ready to ask the address and finish booking the inspection when I lost the signal on my cell phone. I tried to call him back still could'nt get a signal, so I rushed home and tried again. Ah I finally got hold of him only to find out he tried to call me back and could'nt get me so he called another inspector and booked the inspection.

Boy was I pissed, not at him but at U.S. Cellular
4000 sq ft. Is the biggest inspection I would have had thus far.
You can't make any money if you can't answer the phone.
U.S. Cellular sucks!

I'm going to check into some of these phone services you guys are using.

--
" Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going."

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

Larry…they are discussing land line thru the internet, not cellular phones…even if you get vonage, you’ll still have to forward your call to a cellular phone which would be a different service.

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: lclark

I figured that out after reading up on some of those services.

I'm looking at different cell providers now. Cingular seems to have a good coverage area here in north central Indiana. I think I'll give them a try. Can't afford to loose anymore business over crappy cell service.

--
" Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going."

rwills wrote:
Darren,
I checked out the Packet8 site and it looks pretty good. The only problem I have is I didn't see anything stating you can keep your current number. I'd hate to change numbers due to the marketing problem of changing everything to a new number.

Yes you can keep your current # if it is a portable/routable # Call them to find out. Most are.

Thanks!

Bob Wills - MAB Chairman

BW Inspection Services

Warminster, Pa.