Bulge at the top of a exterior wall

Hi,

The bulge just above the door measures about 5/8 to 3/4 per 4 ft out of plumb. In the second exterior photo, you can see a shed dormer whose corner is centered over the worst part of that bulge. In the third photo, that adjacent location on the inside the house has a crack in the drywall. This whole area on the interior is one large great room with a cathedral ceiling. The shed dormer is there because of a small loft on that backside of that great room. The home was manufactured by Nanticoke homes in a plant and set up there on the block foundation. Any ideas as to whether this is a structural issue or not. House was built in 99’, and my first inclination would be to consider this as normal settling, although it appears a bit excessive.

Please advise,

Steve :wink:

Steve, you seem to indicate this was a Modular Home.

If that is the case it was not assemble properly on site.

If this was built on site like it looks, I would fire the contractor that built it.

Structurally, there probably isn’t anything wrong based on what I see, but furthur investigation could prove that statement wrong in a heart beat.

The wall, and overhang are not straight explaining why the walls are not plumb.
The installation of the light fixture and the dryer exhaust is not installed per the standard of construction.

Who the hell built this thing.

The erection and quality of the workmanship fall below the normal construction standards and recommend a qualified Building Contractor or Architect to review the condition before escrow and establish an estimate to bring this installation up to current building standards. :slight_smile:

We have this problem in Wisconsin with home built by Wick these homes come pre built from a factory and assembled or barn spiked together these homes do not get inspected by the town or county they are inspected at the factory what i have seen of these homes they are garbage. I had to do a repair on one where the wall behind the sink sucked in about a 1/2 inch in 4 feet and when they put the counter and mirror in there was the gap i told them that is not a drywall finishers problem. Then i stated if they wanted perfection it sould have started long before i got to that job

Hi Marcel,

I think you’ve probably already seen my other post with regards to the efflorescence, which tells who built this home. If you haven’t, it was built in 99’ by Nanticoke Homes (modular).

With regards to your comment above, the exhaust vent is actually for the range hood in the kitchen. Outside of the fact that the installation of these two items appears to be sloppy, what exactly would be considered not in accordance with the standard of construction? I’ve been trying to find info on this in my Systems & Standards manual and can’t find anything about either in that regard.

Please advise,

Steve :wink:

I knew that was a range hood vent when it posted. :mrgreen:

Anyways, fixtures such as lighting, vents for dryers, range hoods, receptacles and water spigots, all have vinyl accessories that come with it to make it aesthetically pleasing as well as professional looking.
Below is an example.
The alternative is a plinth block that is 1-1/4" thich covered with colored alluminum to match the siding. J moulding is then intalled around it to accept the siding.
In your pictures, I just had a hard time to believe that was done in a factory of Modular homes.

Hope this helps a bit. :slight_smile:

Thanks Marcel. I certainly appreciate the help and advice. Regards, Steve