bulldog breakers remove panel?

Originally Posted By: ddurrant
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I ran into my first bulldog breakers yesterday- I elected not to remove the cover because a couple of the breaker openings were pressed against the bulldog press switches- How would I write this up? or should I pressed ahead and removed the panel cover ? Don

Originally Posted By: roconnor

Quote:
A full electrical panel inspection appeared unsafe. It is recommend that a licensed electrician inspect the panel

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: Randy Flockton

FYI… Bulldog “Pushmatic” breakers are the only residential breakers I’ve seen that are of the bolt-lag type… meaning that instead of a tension contact to feed power from the bus into the breaker, it actually bolts to the bus… This is an upside to the Bulldog panels… The downside being more moving parts in these breakers than most, the vents in the bottom of the breakers seem to attract dust & dirt like nothing else! This is alot of what jams these breakers up so they won’t reset once opened… Another thing to watch out for is the ‘on/off’ indicator wheel on the side of the breaker never seems to show what it’s supposed to! When doing a visual inspection on the Bulldog busbars, look for broken off breaker screws in the bus & breakers that might be mounted with the bus bolts cross-threaded & not tightened all the way… This can lead to overheating due to the poor connection…

-Randy

--
"Prices subject to change with customers additude"

Originally Posted By: ddurrant

Robert and Randy - Thank you for the information- I will use Robert’s tip on how to write up the report and I appreciate Randy’s head’s up on what to look for in these ancient panels- thanks, Don

Originally Posted By: jpope

I came across another one of these Bulldogs today. The HOA President would not allow me to remove the cover icon_cry.gif

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738