Buzz in speakers

Originally Posted By: bmalouf
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I have a friend who is a professional musician. We were out to dinner last night and he told me that his electronic keyboard has a buzz which can be heard from the built in speakers, and that the buzz is also recorded on the cd’s he burns from the keyboard. The buzzing occurs 24/7 as long as the keyboard is on. He has taken this unit to 2 different authorized repair shops. In both cases, there is no buzz when it is plugged in at the 2 shops. A new power supply didn’t solve the problem.

I went back to his house after dinner, but didn't have any tools so I couldn't really get too far into it. I thought it would be a simple fix, so figured I wouldn't need tools anyway. First, I moved the keyboard to various outlets in the house. No luck. Buzzing continued when plugged into any outlet. Then I disconnected every appliance I could think of that might cause the problem; cordless phone, florescent fixtures, cable modem, computer, etc. No luck. Then I turned off every breaker, one at a time, until all the breakers were off except the one that the keyboard was plugged into. No luck.

We then checked the neighbor's yard to be sure his pool motor was off. Also checked for overhead power lines, or other possible sources of stray emf. No luck. I need to take my tools to check more in depth to verify good grounding, etc, but does anyone have any ideas?? Thanks

Originally Posted By: tpope

Sounds like you’re on the right track. You can also try doing a web search for ground loop isolator for some more help.

Timothy Pope

www.craftsmaninspections.com

Austin, Tx Home Inspections

Originally Posted By: bking

Does the keyboard have a 3 prong plug? If so use a 2-prong style adapter for a test, if buzzing is gone, problem is with the ground. Good luck with narrowing it down from there though. I had that exact problem when working on a school PA system and after 4 days found a call switch behind a new sheetrock wall that was mashed. I would have never found it probably without a teachers comment about “what used to be there”

www.BAKingHomeInspections.com

Originally Posted By: bmalouf

Thanks for the feedback, folks.

Yes, the cord has a 3 prong plug. We tried the adapter, and even reversed the polarity, but no change.

Originally Posted By: osmith

I have had similar problems with Car audio equipment. I have found that when speaker wire is too close to the power cord or wires carrying the power this may happen. This is a result of the cables/wires not being insulated or sheilded well enough. Ask him to try to lay or run the power cord or adapter as far away from the internal speakers as possible. If it improves, he may need to invest in a better keyboard because i’m not sure if if that can be fixed. Finally, maybe the way the wires are running inside the keyboard itslef is the problem. Give it a try.

Oscar

--
Dreams without action stay dreams.