Buzzing breaker

Originally Posted By: phughes
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Your inspecting someone’s home and you operate the valve under the sink and then it starts to leak.

What do you do about it?

The owner is there, do you repair it? Do you tell him to repair it? The kitchen has a wooden floor? Hmmmm, now the wood is getting wet?

Ok, now your inspecting a vacant home and you entered using an access device. Now you have leak from the hot water heater, and of course it's located in the attic. Who's problem?

Same situation, you messed with the furnace in such a way that it will not run, and the weather is cold and now your subject to freezing pipes?

Yes, all windows and operable devices are always checked with using good judgement.

So how do you handle these situation?

Originally Posted By: Mike Parks

Put your HO hat on.

HO: Homeowner or Home buyer.

The electric and gas and water shut-offs ARE damn important.

Do you not agree?

Mike P.

Originally Posted By: phughes

Jim,

When you take a car to a mechanic to test it, does he remove the heads? Does he drop the transmission, and check the bands, or remove the radiator or the computer. No he tests things.

Yes you can be liable if something you touch breaks. It wasn't broken before you touched it.

Most things in a home can not cause damage to the home or the occupants if something goes wrong. On a newer home your pretty safe to mess with anything. Not so in a 20-40 year old house. As a home inspector you have responsibility to the buyer and the seller, or owner. Damaging property is not an acceptable practice. Leaving a potential problem for the owner is not acceptable. Good judgement is required, and if well thought out no one is harmed and everyone benefits.

Maybe I'm the only inspector that ever ran into these situations. Maybe all other inspectors do turn every valve.

Originally Posted By: JIM WALKER

So then do you mention some place on the report that CUT OFF VALVES were not inspected ?I think if i seen that on a report i would be upset.If i paid for a inspection i think it should be as complete as possible.What would you tell the buyer to do ? Don’t worry about it you never need them ?Then why did building code require them ?

Once again let me say i am just asking because if i become a HI i want to know just what limits are expected and just what all should the buyer exspect from me.

JIM WALKER

Tampa FL.

ELECTRICJIMW@AOL.COM

Originally Posted By: Bob Badger

Jim go here and all your questions will be answerd

http://www.nachi.org/sop.htm

--
Bob (AKA iwire)
ECN Discussion Forums
Mike Holt Code Forum

Originally Posted By: jpope

. I have a pretty good idea, when looking at a main shut-off, if it is in need of “further evaluation,” or “appears serviceable.”

Another reason for these types of exclusions is that on occasion, these mains are partially, or even completely, buried. Without these exclusions, we may be required to dig up ten, fifteen, even twenty feet of pipe to try and locate a main shut-off, rather than simply stating;

"Unable to locate main shut-off valve, JPI recommends installation of a main shut-off valve in an easily accessible location outside the home."

The HI industry is around 25 - 30 years young for the most part. Many inspectors before us have come up with acceptable standards that keep us in the ranks of "generalists." Through their trials and tribulations, they have come up with standards that are accepted nation wide as the minimum requirements. It's up to each individual inspector to evaluate and gauge each individual inspection and determine what to do or not to do.

With our standards in public view, we can choose NOT TO operate a main valve (or in this case, a main breaker) based on our experience, and not be punished for it.

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: dvalley

I test all operating valves that would normally be used on an everyday basis. Valves that have not been used normally or that haven’t been used on a daily basis should not be tested for any reason whatsoever.

I will show my client where the most important valves and switches are located and will let them know that I can not test the operation of these due to problems that may occur. I’ve never had a client complain yet. As a matter of fact, I’ve had some clients test it themselves. Their bag.

If you want to test valves and switches for your client, then go right ahead. But be prepared to pay for some serious damages that will occur sooner or later. ![](upload://Aab4HXgTaadqPG4QJebaFeQRcLA.gif)

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: jwalker1

JIM WALKER wrote:
So then do you mention some place on the report that CUT OFF VALVES were not inspected ?I think if i seen that on a report i would be upset.If i paid for a inspection i think it should be as complete as possible.What would you tell the buyer to do ? Don't worry about it you never need them ?Then why did building code require them ?
Once again let me say i am just asking because if i become a HI i want to know just what limits are expected and just what all should the buyer exspect from me.