California and "certification"

Originally Posted By: Keith Silvas
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

In california, can a Home Inspector claim to be a “certified home inspector” and if they can, what exactly does this mean?

Originally Posted By: psisler

Hi Keith,

The Assembly is currently working on SB 31 now. Currently it is at rest. For more information go to the site below and ask for updates after you Finish. Hope this helps.

www.leginfo.ca.gov

Patrick M. Sisler
Alta Sierra Home Inspection
altasierrahi@lycos.com

Originally Posted By: jpope

The title “Certified” must be issued by a third party. To simply call yourself a “certified inspector” is a misrepresentation.

Currently, CREIA makes "Certified Professional" available to its members that meet certain qualifications. I don't believe there is any organization that "certifies" its inspector members other than NACHI ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: rray

jpope wrote:
The title "Certified" must be issued by a third party. To simply call yourself a "certified inspector" is a misrepresentation.

Not true, Jeff. That's what S.B. 31 was all about.

S.B. 31 passed yesterday. However, it is no longer about home inspectors. It was totally rewritten:

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/bill/sen/sb_0001-0050/sb_31_bill_20040311_amended_asm.html

I've also made a post in the California legislation forum.

--
Home inspections. . . .
One home at a time.

Originally Posted By: bmalouf

I must be missing something…when I check out SB 31, it has to do with Water Fees, not home inspections. Can someone shed some light on this?

Hey, Bob.

The old S.B. 31 (old legislature) was about home inspectors but then underwent "gut and amend" and became about check cashers. My March 12 post is from last year, 2004.

I have no idea what the new S.B. 31 (new legislature) is about, although you seem to indicate that it is about water fees.

Currently, there is no home inspector legislation in California (that I'm aware of today).

--
Home inspections. . . .
One home at a time.

Originally Posted By: bmalouf

Thanks Russel! I’ll have to check out your last years’ post. I’m glad at least that there is no current pending legislation. BTW, I see you’re very active here. Thanks for all your input!

Bob

bmalouf wrote:
I see you're very active here.

Must have me confused with someone else. I rarely check in here. I'm just a nobody. ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

--
Home inspections. . . .
One home at a time.