California Building Standards Commission

Originally Posted By: jpope
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

California Building Standards Commission Withdraws 2003 Code Recommendations Decision Clears Way for State Agencies to Proceed with International Building, Fire and Residential Codes Sacramento, CA

The California Building Standards Commission voted 8-2 on Wednesday, March 16, to rescind its code recommendations of July 2003. The Commission's action will allow state agencies to move forward with the adoption of building codes that are the best fit for California, including the International Building Code (IBC), the International Fire Code (IFC) and the International Residential Code (IRC), in updating the State's building codes. The state agencies will bring proposed code amendments back to the Building Standards Commission for approval?a process that is estimated to take about two years. This approach is consistent with how California has adopted building codes in the past.

"Today's decision sets a course that will help ensure the highest level of building and fire safety in places where Californians live, work and play," said James Lee Witt, CEO of the International Code Council. "We applaud the California Building Standards Commission for undertaking a detailed analysis of the codes and making public safety interests its first priority."

The Building Standards Commission's action followed a unanimous 7-0 recommendation issued on March 8 by the Commission's Coordinating Council, made up of the State's code-writing agencies, in support of the IBC, IFC and IRC. Public testimony in support of the IBC, IRC and IFC before both the Coordinating Council and the Building Standards Commission registered overwhelmingly in favor of using the I-Codes in California. More than 500 private and non-profit entities, as well as individuals, support the I-Codes in California.

The I-Codes are the most widely recognized building codes in the country. The IBC is adopted and enforced in 44 states at the state or local level and Washington DC. The Department of Defense, Department of State, Department of Commerce, General Services Administration, Department of Housing and Urban Development, and National Parks Service also use the IBC.

The International Code Council has extensive experience working with California state and local government agencies. The Uniform Codes currently used in California are the predecessors of the I-Codes. The International Code Council's 100-plus employees at offices in Sacramento and Whittier provide technical, training, certification and other support services.

The International Code Council, a membership association dedicated to building safety and fire prevention, develops the codes used to construct residential and commercial buildings, including homes and schools. Most U.S. cities, counties and states that adopt codes choose the International Codes developed by the International Code Council.

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: psisler

Jeff,

Thanks for the info. All of us here in California, as Inspectors, need to be aware of the legislature's actions. They sure p*%#y-foot around a lot. I try to make city and county council meetings as much as I can to get info for our trade. They too batter around and hardly get to the subject at hand.

It would be great if they ever make up their minds on the codes that we are supposed to go by and publish them.

Patrick

Originally Posted By: jpope

According to this decision, we will be following the IRC eventually. The transition will certainly be fun. icon_rolleyes.gif

Jeff Pope

JPI Home Inspection Service

“At JPI, we’ll help you look better”

(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: ccoombs

The transition is a major pain for engineers. It has been nice to be working under the same code since 1997!

Typically California will adopt a code a year after UBC, or now IBC, is updated. Then the cities have a year to implement it. However, the change to the IBC is such a large change it will take longer.

The real problem is that each city will have their own variations of the code. So each city has a different requirement.

By the way, I know Phoenix has been holding off on adopting the IBC until California made a decision. So AZ HI's should be hearing something soon.

By the way, our previous governor implemented a code system that didn't have any structural sections.....right after taking $4 million dollars from a union that supported the worthless code. Lucky for us, he was kicked out and Arnold was elected.

--
Curtis

Originally Posted By: gbell

Florida will be switching to the IRC also. It will not be too bad as the Florida Building code mirrors it in many ways.

Greg Bell

Bell Inspection Service

Originally Posted By: bkelly2

Gentlemen, what code book should I be reading to get ready?

“I used to be disgusted, Now I try to Be amused”-Elvis Costello

Originally Posted By: gbell

2003 IRC One and Two Family Dwellings.

https://www.iccsafe.org/e/prodshow.html?prodid=3100S03&stateInfo=jLcvcjojdEZcdiBk6967|4

If you would like more info send me an e-mail.

You might need the IBC also.

https://www.iccsafe.org/e/prodshow.html?prodid=3000L03&stateInfo=lrpoXybbCkbcddja9374|5

--
Greg Bell
Bell Inspection Service

Originally Posted By: ccoombs

Brain

I would hold off on buying any books at the moment. The way things have gone in the past, I would expect the 2006 versions will be used...and not enforced until 2007.

I was at the LA City Building Department today. I asked about IBC being used in 2007. The plan checker stated that per the department's meetings that the city of LA would not be using the IBC ever. At the moment LA City uses a very modified version of the 1997 UBC. And there is a long list of jurisdictions that also use this modified version. A partial list includes Long Beach, LA County, Palmdale, Lancaster, and several others. You sure have to love the "Universal" aspect of the codes!

--
Curtis