Call regarding possible bad furnace install

I received a call last week from a person asking it have his new furnace install inspected. He said it doesn’t seem to be installed correctly. He mention strapping on ductwork is too small or not spaced correctly and was looking for advice what to do about this. I can say in the 16 years of inspecting, I never had a call like this before and was wondering if anyone else had something like this. Not quite sure what to do at this point as I’m not a licensed HVAC technician.

2 Likes

You would have to code inspect it – you’re not a code inspector, are you :slight_smile: Did they have a “licensed” HVAC/plumber sign off on it?

6 Likes

I have had similar calls in the past. I prefer not to get in the middle between the home owner and contractor. What I do is tell them to call a competitor of the company that did the install and have them come take a look at how the job was done.

7 Likes

I’ve done four of those but won’t again, they never go well because there is some agenda that the client don’t mention upfront. I also don’t agree to inspect to verify / critique against other home inspectors. Trust your gut if it says no.

6 Likes
  • Obtain a list of what the caller is concerned with.
  • Provide them a link to any written guidance for the proper installation of those items.
  • Advise them you just saved them money on having an inspection.
  • Wish them well and good luck on their endeavors.
  • Don’t get involved since there most likely is an ulterior motive and I doubt your E&O would cover it, if you carry E&O, and you may also become well more involved than you want to be or should be.
3 Likes

Plain and simple, talk your way out of not doing it for many reasons already stated.

8 Likes

Had some of those calls, even one from a contractor who sold a house he constructed and was beleaguered with calls from the buyer. I explain in each case that I will not go to court for that individual and am not a code certified inspector. DON’T do it. Each of them just wants a “middle man” to bolster their disagreement. Once you get involved your phone will get incessant calls from both your client and the other party. Good way to ruin your business.

5 Likes

You do not have to be a code official to use SMACNA standards when it comes to calling out improper ductwork installation.

1 Like

Doesn’t matter. Stay out of it.
You can get dragged it something that will at minimum, waste your time…OR worse…

If someone is unhappy about something like this, encourage them to call the contractor that installed the equipment.

4 Likes

Yep, steer clear. I want nothing to do with getting in the middle of a dispute. Like the calls where some tenant wants an inspection because they are going to sue their landlord. Hell, we end up with lawsuits we can’t see coming. Jumping in when it’s already being discussed? LOL… no thanks!

4 Likes

Being that the scope is general inspections and not professional, I wouldn’t get involved with their dispute myself. Especially if you’re not a licensed HVAC Tech. I’m not a CPI yet, but that would be my best guess.

1 Like

Yeah, pass on that one.
But does your area have a permit / AHJ requirement? The owner can pull a permit and have a City inspector out (if the contractor won’t agree to pull the permit and have a City inspector).

2 Likes

Tell him it would be best to have him contact a HVAC technician and move on

Most metro or even semi-metro areas require a permit and code inspection for this type install.
Ask if they have it?

As a licensed HVAC contractor / technician, code inspector, and 35 yr home inspector I might tell them my fee for expert review on 1 thing like this is $750. If they wanted me to provide written testimony or ANY type court related appearance ANYWHERE for ANY part of a day, its $2,500 p/day payable in advance.

Then refer them elsewhere FOR all the reasons already mentioned by others

1 Like