Camera Needs For IR Roofing Scans

Hey folks been using a BCAM for a little while and love it but would like to get into doing smallercommercial/industrial roofing scans next year and curious what everyone is using. Is using something like a bcam sufficent for small applications. I am going to be looking into more IR training specifically level II or roofing training and wanted to get a little bit of an idea before hand so I can kind of expect to know what I’ll be paying for. Thanks in advance for the input! :wink:

Jason K. would love for you to chime in here, or feel free to PM me. Thanks!

The Infraspection Standards for Inspecting Roofs are a good start.

I’m utilizing the B-2 and have performed several commercial flat roof scans…

http://www.massinfrared.com/?D=77

Same here but with a B400…

Our IR students can buy an IR camera with greater than 310x240 resolution
for about 7.5K… (we get the lowest prices in the USA). This will work
for flat roof scans. Contact me for details as I cannot publish them on
the internet.

http://www.infrared-certified.com

Thanks for the input so far gentleman. Please keeping them coming. Has anyone had experience using a BCAM performing commercial/industrial roofs? I know from what I understand (and pls correct me if I’m wrong) but the B2 cam is not very far off from a BCAM, better res., focal plane array and temperatures from what I understand but not extremely far off.

Yes, I purchased the B-2 based on better resolution…Flir Resolution_Comparison.PDF (207 KB)

I wanted clarity in my IR images and this camera does have better resolution over the other B-Cams.

A B-series IR camera can be utilized for commercial flat roof scans but, when scanning these roofs, I suggest standing at a distance for better images.

Thanks David for the input. Outside of standing further away have you noticed any other drawbacks with using a b-series camera?

No drawbacks that I have experienced.

An IR scan of a flat roof with a B-series camera is going to detect the anomalies just as efficient as the 15 thousand dollar T400 IR camera.

Don’t even think about going more expensive on an IR camera just because your performing commercial IR roof scans. My only recommendation would be to go with the camera with the better resolution. Who wants to look at blurry thermal images?

To turn the topic slightly, for those of you who have had given responses and had success in the commercial roofing game how have you received your business, and what are the best methods for marketing in your opinion? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.:wink:

It’s simple. You must have a website dedicated to infrared services.

Simply go to Google and enter “massachusetts infrared roof scan” or anything with the text “massachusetts infrared” and my website is on the first page.

You must market on-line with your infrared service and SEO services from your webmaster are very helpful.

Build it and they will come…

Get a camera above 300.

If you’re going to do roof scans on an ongoing basis, there are going to be times when the temperature difference between the moisture and the roof could be very marginal and the higher the resolution and sensitivity you can acquire the less time you will spend trying to get the correct weather conditions.

You cannot manipulate Delta T conditions on the roof inspection like you can in doors.

You can get 320 x 240 cameras for $6,000-$7,000 without all the bells and whistles that are convenient in cameras like the B-400.

If you didn’t know, detecting moisture in a built-up roof is dependent upon temperature in transition. Generally the roof is cooling off from solar exposure during the day. Moisture changes temperatures slower than dry roofing materials and a temperature difference occurs. In some weather conditions this window of opportunity could be quite small and if you have a big roof you may run out of time. To make matters worse, there is always a breeze around reducing your Delta T.

Yes, you can do roof scans with a $2000 camera, but not very efficiently.

When you move from the residential inspection realm into commercial, there is absolutely no reason to go at it from the low end. Low performance and poor documentation will run you right out of town. There is money in commercial/industrial thermal imaging work versus residential. You should be armed with the best tools possible to complete the mission.

I highly recommend that you take a roofing course as well as Level II.

You’ll also need to take on an assistant to help in documentation and to keep you from walking off the roof! Thermal cameras take away your night vision and rooftops are a very dangerous place to be.

This is the best advice in this thread, IMO.

You really need to do a ton of research before doing a flat roof inspection. Many have opinions on the matter, and have performed flat roof inspections. That does not mean it was done properly or with potential litigation in mind.

If you are charging less than $1500 or a dime a sq (whichever is higher) for a flat roof inspection you are charging too little. If you are not backing up your findings with core samples and/or nuclear testing, your business is a walking time bomb to get taken from you in litigation.

Jason Kaylor – JJ
VP of Specialty Products
877/207-1244
AC Tool Supply](http://www.aikencolon.com/)
Weatherization
Fluke meter](http://www.fluketir32.com/)
UEI C155](http://www.fluketir32.com/)
UEI C157](http://www.fluketir32.com/)

That goes for any Thermal Job.
Just cause you see something, does not mean it’s there.

That’s nothing. I’ve had several potential clients call me asking questions about IR scanning and during the conversation they tell me that it’s cheaper for them if they rented the IR camera from a local distributor. I tell them that they will have no idea what they will be looking at in the screen and that it takes a trained eye to interpret the thermal images. They never booked with me, so I can only imagine that they went out and rented an IR camera.

Good luck to them with the interpretations. They chose to save money over knowledge and to guess at what the IR screen is actually detecting.

Good post.