Camera on pole or ladder

Seriously though, NACHI.TV built this: http://www.nachi.org/steep-high-commercial-inspections-2009.htm

Ha ha
You have to much money to waste.
That rig is not practical as you can not easily walk around and put the camera where you need it.
Try my method.

How many CMI’s does it take to operate the thing? :smiley:

The one we built is for looking at commercial exteriors, it goes up 3 stories.

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&q=man+lift&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=1138&bih=535 :wink: :cool:

There is no doubt that stick cams are handy as when I had no access on this industrial freezer warehouse or the 3 story residential with a locked roof hatch.

Sell any yet?

Not for sale. It was built to film a www.NACHI.TV commercial exteriors inspection course.

Just wondering. h
How would something like this would work
This group is dedicated to pole aerial photography, the use of poles or telecoping masts for achieving height when taking photographs. From simple pole and mast rigs constructed at home, to $6,000+ professional telcoping mast rigs, all users are...

Carlos Orellana
Houston Tx

To start it looks to heavy with a telescopic lens like that.
I also see no need for a viewer unless you are going for snapshots.

Hello Nick

Can you post a picture/explanation about the lifting mechanism?

Thank you
Gabe

try this
http://www.securityprousa.com/21fopohacapo.html

Did you notice the price Wayne? close to 2K for the pole without the camera.
Maybe I should sell poles :).
I did a lot of research since Bob mentioned the window washing pole and I was leaning towards the complicated aluminum poles.
If I had money to burn I would want a pole like Nick built or a pneumatic pole but for now a fiberglass pole of any kind should be sufficient.
The only thing I would really change is to put a baby monitor wireless camera next to the main camera on the pole top so tha tI could see what I am taking pictures of.
The next step would be to try and control the shutter release of the camera from the ground so that I can take individual pictures and not a video.

Gabe

Gabe they also do custom ones , I use a painters pole with a tripod Mount, As Bob i use a Video then take the photo’s from that. Pretty easy. Only other option is a bucket lift on a van . I was thinking of that also. Hi Need to pool ideas to make this job faster and safer. I am sure we can come up with something with a reasonable price.

I found the following
“The horizontal distance from the fixture outlet to the trap weir should not be greater than 30 inches, measured from the centerline of the fixture outlet to the centerline of the inlet of the trap”
on this page
http://education.nachi.org/show.php?element_id=1176&course_id=54

Obviusly the contradiction mentioned earlier, is an error.

Gabe

How tall is your pole and what kind of tripod are you using?
The smallest weight at the top of an extended pole can be very heavy.

I sometimes clean my eaves (about 22’ off the ground) with a 2" ABS pipe attached to my ShopVac and if I don’t hold the pipe firmly, it tilts and falls to the ground.
Which is another aspect of a camera on a pole.
The camera has to be protectd somehow in case the pole tilts and falls to the ground but hopefully a tripod with some weights on the legs would prevent that but then the setup would not be portable.

Gabe

My pole extends to 12 feet plus 3 feet with the old tripod Mount ( i do use the tripod legs just the pipe.I never had any problems so far with it falling but of course now you have mentioned it perhaps tomorrow LOL. Kidding of course. I tried a regular video cam which came with a remote but i did not have much luck. seems remote and camera have to be in direct line.

Some remotes are IR type which require line of sight.
The wifi type could be prone to interference from other wifi devices.
A direct connection through the usb port is the way to go. (imho).
The problem with usb is that it is limited as far as the length of the wire goes.
The solution to the above problem is to switch from usb to CAT5 at one end and then back to usb at the other.
Another solution is to get shorter (12 foot) usb wires with amplifiers (built in) but now we introduce connectors that could snap open or just not make contact after a while. (oxidization or mechanical failure).

I would like to ask those who use a camera on a pole without feedback means - how often is the video or the picture OFF the target?

I keep thinking about how I would get the camera to point at the right place when I am 15-25 feet under it.

Gabe

Gabriel I have explained many times but let me just say.
Stop over thinking.
Go mount your camera to a tripod attached to a pole and it will make sense.
The mount adjustment stick acts as a guide and at 28 feet I have no issues with weight as it is all about balance just like when you carry a 28 foot ladder which weighs lots more than a camera.(:)).
Just do it.

Yes Sir. I will.:wink: But not next week.
I am going for my Level 1 thermography course.

BTW, I found a place here in Toronto that sells window washing poles.
I just need to buy the screw to attach the camera to the pole with a variable tilt (so that I can look ito eaves and flues.
If it looks as if I am thinking too much it is because I do :slight_smile: and I like it.
It is sort of a massage for the grey cells.

Gabe