Cameras CCTV in the house

It’s not that unusual. Parents watching kids with special needs, people with epilepsy are often monitored by family members etc etc.

I might have placed a sticky note over the lens and moved on. I certainly would not have removed them.

2 Likes

Hmm, if that were the case, they wouldn’t be hidden. These were for nefarious purposes. And I don’t carry sticky notes on my person.

How hidden were they? You found them.

I once inspected a home what had a chain lock on the refrigerator and the child’s bedroom door lock was reversed. The child’s bedroom walls and doors were covered with plexiglass and the only piece of furniture was a mattress on the floor. Would you have called the authorities?

2 Likes

Colorado is also. If you wear a body cam with audio, you can record anything you want. Now if a homeowner records, with audio, you and your client, during an inspection and they are not there and do not disclose the recording, then that’s a different story and potentially illegal.

That would be a Big No No here.

Yes… …

6 Likes

Sorry I shared my experience and opinion. Clearly this conversation has gone off course. Where I work it’s not considered appropriate or ethical to place cameras in bathrooms during showings and inspections. What you deem acceptable and ethical differs, clearly. And that’s fine. Have a nice day.

In this day and age and technology, I assume I am on camera on every inspection (yesterday, the cameras were obvious). I advise my client that we may be on camera. I do my thing and say my comments. And that’s all.
Although, once, a voice came out of “nowhere” asking me to repeat what I just said about a problem. That was definitely different.

4 Likes

In most places, the video is OK. You have to get permission to record someone. If the seller records the conversation between an inspector and the buyer without their knowledge, it can get them in some legal trouble. Assume you are being watched: I stay away from jewelry cases or anything that looks valuable so that there is no doubt that I didn’t touch anything.

2 Likes

No it doesn’t!. How did you come to that conclusion?

How I react to it may differ, depending on the how much background info. I have.

@lkage initially, I had the same reaction of the home with the plexiglass.

Turns out they had a child with special needs. One of the child’s issues included a sensory disorder. The child would scratch, tear and digest sheetrock, chew on wood furniture and even attack everything in the refrigerator (including food packaging). Resulting in multiple trips to the emergency room.

With the help of social services and donations, they made the home more safe. They were selling the home to move into a new home specifically designed for the safety of their child.

6 Likes