Can a house automotically qualify for home insurance discount?

AN INSURANCE AGENT SAID THAT A HOUSE IF IT’S CONSTRUCTED AFTER 2002 WILL AUTOMATICALLY QUALIFY FOR HOME OWNER INSURANCE WITHOUT A WIND MITIGATION INSPECTION, IT’S THAT TRUE? I DONT BELIEVE THE AGENT:roll:

In most cases that’s true. However, some companies are requiring wind mits for all policies (it used to be an optional thing).

Regardless, outside the HVHZ most homes built after 2002 do not get additional discounts unless they have FULL shutter protection and a hip roof.

Totally up to the underwriter

Yes, depending on the underwriter. It is built to the 2001 Building Code.

There are credits for homes built after the 2001 FBC.

Chiun,

Please take the on-line wind mit class, then take a class in person. You have lots of questions and you need them answered BEFORE you do wind mits.

I already did take the course with internachi, but i haven’t taken a class in person yet, don’t know where to find live class,

Search the internet, there are two in miami and inspection depot has a traveling course.

Yes, if the house was built with FBC or SFBC, the mitigation discounts for roofing, roof deck, and roof to wall get nulled and the policy is given a hefty discounted percentage, so technically, the insured can get credit with no form. The form would need completed for an insured to get the hip roof, swr, and opening protection credits as those obviously vary. I only know cause I used to analyze these credits handed from the OIR into a rating system when I worked for Travelers.

Trisha,
Just a heads up in addition to the HVHZ, glazing protection is also required by the F.B.C. for all homes built in the WBDZ. I have attached a link where you can view and download the Florida wind speed maps which identifies the HVHZ. This is a handy document too add to your library
gis.scgov.net/documents/Wind_borne_MAP021407v2.pdf

Mark,
Am I correct in my understanding that the wind speed maps in the 2010 Florida Building Code have been revised significantly from the map you cited?
See this link - http://www.floridabuilding.org/fbc/Wind_2010/Flyer_Wind_January2012.pdf

From what I’ve read, it looks like the Wind Borne Debris Region will now be defined by the 140 mph line, which has now shifted to the north in Central Florida. At the same time, areas along the east & west coast of North Florida will not require protection of openings.
Here is a link to a current map - http://www.floridabuilding.org/fbc/Wind_2010/figurea_gray2.png

Yes they have as of March 15th, of this year the 2010 code went into affect. As I understand (I’m still muddling through) the WBDZ will now be the new 140 mph lines and 130 mph when located within 1 mile of the coast. The new wind lines appear to add about and additional 20% of the State into the WBDZ.
Just received the new family of books last week, should have it all digested just in time for the 2012 code cycle to go into affect. LOL

I just did one for a large 2006 model. The insurance co told the new homeowner in order to qualify for discounts an inspection would be required. The only thing he qualified for was single wraps. The house was of good quality but the large hip roof was voided because the three gable features across the whole front. The insurance companies are not stupid they have it all figured out before hand.