Can i run a chase, from meter to ckt break, under a bedroom?

Originally Posted By: Al Gurrola
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I ambuilding my home at this time. Well my question was this. I have the meter can with a main disconnect on one side of the house. The electrician said he would be running a PVC conduit from that side of the house to the other side, approx. 50 feet, to the ckt breaker. the ckt breaker will go in my garage. The conduit will be running right under one of the bedrooms, which is in the front of the house. i have concerns about this, is it safe to do this, for health reasons? Will it cause interference if i make it an office instead of a bedroom? I was thinking of running the conduit about 5 feet in front of the bedroom (house), am i being overly concerned?? icon_question.gif

i appreciate my friends helping me build my home…with beer

Originally Posted By: jtedesco

Please ask the El Paso, Texas Electrical Inspector this question since the work is under a valid electrical permit.

Please tell him that the Handle Ties for two single pole breakers must now be listed and not "approved' as he said during a seminar a long time ago.

PS: This board is not the place for these questions, please go to the Bob Vila board, there you will get some help.

--
Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm

Originally Posted By: bbadger

This is nothing to worry about.

You stated there is a breaker protecting the conductors.

If you are worried about health problems from EMF you also have little to worry about as all the conductors of the circuit are together.

--
Bob Badger
Electrical Construction & Maintenance
Moderator at ECN

bbadger wrote:
This is nothing to worry about.

You stated there is a breaker protecting the conductors.

If you are worried about health problems from EMF you also have little to worry about as all the conductors of the circuit are together.

OK Bob now that you took the time to give an opinion, I would ask Al what he is planning on pulling into the raceway, what size will the wires be, will the raceway include an EGC and how will it be supported.

If the run is on the side of the joist the issues related to the possible damage caused by a nail, etc., comes up.

I think we would need more information so long as we are going to answer DIY questions here.

--

Originally Posted By: Greg Fretwell

Joe, he said the “electrician” was running the raceway and conductors. I got that he was only questioining the safety of running a main feeder through the house.

As long as this is a feeder, with over current protection, there is really no danger. When this becomes a problem is when this is service conductors, straight from the utility. There is no protection on these and they shouldn't be run through the house.

Greg:

Quote:
Joe, he said the "electrician" was running the raceway and conductors

The run is yet to be installed according to my bold here.

Quote:
I am building my home at this time.

Well my question was this.

I have the meter can with a main disconnect on one side of the house.

The electrician said he would be running a PVC conduit from that side of the house to the other side, approx. 50 feet, to the ckt breaker.

the ckt breaker will go in my garage.

The conduit will be running right under one of the bedrooms, which is in the front of the house.

i have concerns about this, is it safe to do this, for health reasons? Will it cause interference if i make it an office instead of a bedroom?

I was thinking of running the conduit about 5 feet in front of the bedroom (house), am i being overly concerned??

--

Originally Posted By: bbadger

jtedesco wrote:
OK Bob now that you took the time to give an opinion, I would ask Al what he is planning on pulling into the raceway, what size will the wires be, will the raceway include an EGC and how will it be supported.

If the run is on the side of the joist the issues related to the possible damage caused by a nail, etc., comes up.

I think we would need more information so long as we are going to answer DIY questions here.

Joe I am agree with Greg on this one, Al had stated;

Quote:
The electrician said he would be running a PVC conduit

I take him at his word on that.

Bob

--
Bob Badger
Electrical Construction & Maintenance
Moderator at ECN