Can legislation prevent this?

Originally Posted By: ksutherland
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Searching around earlier today on realtor association web sites for two counties I do business in, I noticed many local inspectors are paying to become affiliates of the realtor association. My question is, If the Florida law changes and keeps real estate agents from recommending Home Inspectors, Will it keep Home Inspectors from being able to pay for an affiliate status? I hope so. Otherwise real estate agents can just tell there customer they can find everything they need on their associations website. This would be an indirect way of recommending Home Inspectors. icon_twisted.gif

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

Many inspectors join the realtors assoc. to get a supra key. Not sure how it is in Fla. but that’s why they do it in WI

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: dfrend

Ditto Kevin. People have different reasons. Bottom line: legislation SHOULD not prevent this. It is a business decision. If it gets you business over your competition in your area, great. If it gets your competition business, maybe you should do it too.

Daniel R Frend

www.nachifoundation.org

The Home Inspector Store

www.homeinspectorstore.com

Originally Posted By: dcampbell

I had to join my local one to get my supra key

Originally Posted By: dbowers

Kevin -

No state legislation has ever made it against the law to be an affiliate of a Board-of-Realtors. Many inspectors belong to their local board so they can get Supra Keys, mailing labels, directorys, etc.

I've never seen a Realtor Board really PUSH their realtor members to USE just the Affiliates (although they tell affiliates they're promote that).

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

geez…at first I thought you were directing you comments at me!

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

No, It won’t stop it. It’s called freedom of association.

I'm in Florida AND I belong to the local board of Realtors. I don't mind taking referrals from Realtors, I need a supra key, it makes for easy marketing, they set up vendor tables at their meetings once per quarter, it is the easiest way to get in front of 3 or 4 hundred realtors, and it is inexpensive advertising.

Rather than fight it, I suggest you join.