Can one become a Certified Master Inspector with no inspection experience?

I am the campaign manager for our Vice President Scott. We welcome you to run against Scott in the next campaign. The reason for the 10 minute election of Scott is because he was winning in a land slide. I am hoping we might have an election that last for a whole day for Vice President, next time. It would break a NACHI record.

I hope that you will consider, Russ.

James, it is unfortunate that you feel that this Award is not challenging enough to meet what you call, a low bar of accomplishment.

Please define if you wish of what the bar should be so we can modify our criteria.

The educational Achievement award and certificate in recognition of Gerry Beaumont is not an attempt to match the Educational skills nor his instructural capacities, but rather to pay tribute to him by providing twice the amount of CE’s required by Inachi.

It is in the respect of Gerry Beaumont, that we came up with this and hope that all Members challenge themselves in showing that continued education and exceeding the mandated requirements make a better HI.

Receiving the Gerry Beaumont Educational Award, in my opinion, is an honor in his behalf that all Members of the Association will continue to excel themselves in the education that Gerry so loved and excelled in performance as an instructor to all.

Please take advantage of the certificate if you have so met the requirements. It is pleasing to know that his legacy of education is being brought to fruition.

Thanks for any contribution you may have. :):smiley:

It is an award that you guys put together so I that is why I kept my mouth shut so far. I did not know Gerry very well. But in my opinion the education hours required should be at least half of what NACHI has to offer.
But I am also an inspector that thinks required credit hours to remain a NACHI member should be raised to at least 30 hours a year.

James, you have me confused, first you say the education hours required should be a least half of what Nachi has to offer, then continue to say the hours should be raised to 30 hours from the 25.

Can you elaborate on your meaning.?:slight_smile:

Sorry, I miss understood the award. It is 50 hours this year, not 50 hours in total. Oops am I bad.

And Enforced

Raising or lowering the yearly hours would change nothing in my opinion .
I would be very surprised if 40 % now do 25 hours a year .
You also say
("education hours required should be at least half of what NACHI has to offer. ")
Well I have no idea what the total is but I expect NACHI has well over 1,000 ~ hours of education available .
Can you tell me why we should make it a almost impossible plateau to get too.
I do not see any other association doing any thing close to what NACHI does and I am pleased with what the reward is for Gerry B.
I see no advantage in changing what we have now .
Thanks for your post it is important to get questioned and see if improvements need to be made .

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbraun http://nachi.cachefly.net/forum/images/2006/buttons/viewpost.gif
But I am also an inspector that thinks required credit hours to remain a NACHI member should be raised to at least 30 hours a year.

And Enforced Now tell me do think it would be good idea to raise and enforce the rules if it cost 60% of the membership to not renew .
This could happen and if it did NACHI just might not be able to continue with all the new programs they do .
Sorry I see no advantage in having NACHI being made smaller .

I feel Gerry’s award is something that should be a goal to be achieved then just something to go out and achieve.

Yes, Nick explained that to me years ago. Too bad to be an organization, we have to be less of an organization.

Roy, do you think Nick should remove the “or” too?

So you believe 60% of the members are not achieving the minimum yearly renewal CE requirements? Which is quite simple to do I might add.

If that’s true, and probably is, no wonder it’s not being enforced. Also this lowers the credibility INACHI has as a whole.

I also believe if it was enforced the majority would oblige.

CMIs make up only 3.3% of all home inspectors.

I see no advantage in getting excited in what others do or don’t do.
I do what I feel is proper for me and the industry.
To get concerned to see if you did your Continuing education
( It’s No My Job ).
NACHI is doing better then all the rest and from what I see is still the Best.
I do what I can to help those who want it and to keep my self well informed .
Thanks for your questions and ideas they help to get others thinking .
All the best … Roy

Leave tomorrow to visit the good old USA for a week .

CMIs make up 100 % of Roys home Inspection (3)
Skip,Roy and Char

Not for nothing (I just want to share my thoughts) I have been a member of NACHI almost since its inception and have over the years played nice with both ASHI & FABI and can say without any reservation that NACHI’s benign dictatorial leadership model with Captain Nick at the helm is how we got where we are today.

Personally, I really have no use for organizations which are bogged down with do-nothing committees that waste time & energy never coming to any conclusions, NACHI gets stuff done… There, now I feel better.

OK, back to your regularly scheduled rant. :smiley:

Thanks Joe! I tell staffers to do similarly: Hold no meetings. Just do your best. If it doesn’t work out right you can apologize (faster than getting permission) and fix it… and then move on to the next project.

Members who do not keep up on their CEUs risk being sued for unlimited punitive damages for fraud.

It works like this: You have someone suing you for a water heater that doesn’t work. They are limited, by the court, to the cost of the water heater. A savvy attorney decides to visit your website and copy it…then systematically, validate every claim that you make about yourself.

On your site, you have claimed to be a member of NACHI. He contacts NACHI to verify that you are a member in good standing and asks for proof of you annual test scores and accomplishment of CEUs.

Nick checs the data base and sees that you have not reported any, and provides that data to the attorney, reflecting that your membership is not in good standing.

He then requests from you copies of all of the certificates for CEUs that you have accumulated in the last 12 months, already having Nick’s letter stating that NACHI has no record of any. He will ask you for copies, anyway, hoping that you will fabricate them…or the dates on them…for he will certainly follow up on them as well.

Now, he claims that you used your false membership in NACHI to lure his client to contract you. His client, assuming you were current in your membership and especially in your continuing education was defrauded. For this, the $500 water heater now becomes $100,500 in total damages. Legal expenses for a small courts claim now increase to the level of a circuit court.

Bottom line…keep up with your CEUs.

Mr. Hensel,

You are a bit confused. You stated that for two days I claimed that something was illegal then I changed my mind. While technically you are correct, one would need to read all posts I made to understand that a decision was reached based on circumstance and fact. It was precipitated in part based on requirements of the law in your state and in an effort to allow a legal path to licensure for our members. As such, an exception was allowed. There is nothing unethical about my decision.

As to pleasing Nick to “keep my job”, I can assure that Nick and I disagree far more than we agree. I have no “job”, unless you consider carrying a broken cell phone with poor coverage area a “perk”. I receive no salary. I answer a slew of telephone calls from inspectors, agents, and disgruntled clients daily. I receive e-mails on these issues every day. In truth, what I have done for this association over the past 9 years has been thankless, has taken hours away from my family, and has netted me little. In fact, in some instances it has cost me.

You come to this board with a laundry list of complaints. By the way, more than a few members (over 20 from your state, BTW) have complained of your demeanor and posts. Some wanted you booted. It hasn’t happened, because to date the complaints have not been backed by documentation. That was MY decision, BTW. When Nick asked me what we should do, the reply was “nothing”. That may not have please the masses, or even Nick himself, as you are viewed as a dividing force and detractor. So, I dont have to please anyone to “keep my job”.

I can see, however, that your position will not likely change. You are displeased. I dont particularly give a fiddler’s f u c k. I predict that, eventually, someone will generate documentation sufficient to sustain a complaint against you. That will be a sad day, as I believe you are probably a good guy.

Some advice, though; before you attempt to slander an individual such as myself, the suggestion would be to take your head out of your a s s first. This way, you’ll have a clue of what your talking about.

Another suggestion may be to assess your membership in this organization. Membership cannot be all about YOU, but must be meaningful for all member inspectors. If you do not like the way things are run, the challenge would be to start your own organization and/or leave this one.

May I ask how I slandered you? Read your first paragraph again to yourself. Did you not state it was wrong and then come back and “Make an acception?”

Read my posts, each of them have one thing in common. To improve the image of NACHI and or Home Inspectors and our our profession. Is that so wrong? To want something better is a bad thing? Has one person in this organization asked for my help and not got it? Have my posts not asked for solutions to my problem?

As far as the 20 people? Thats it? Only 20…wow thats alot lower than I expected. What have my tirades done…lets see, got more people involved in one way or another. Makes people look at the process’s and re-evaluate them. There is more hype now than ever. Look at the message board in FL its one of the highest and most active. Why is that? Because weather you agree or disagree I could care less. The main point is that now people are acting in one way or another, which is much better than being idle and stagnant.

You as you have the right to tell me to tell me to take my head out or my ***…I will then tell you that Nick must have stopped abruptly because yours is so far up his…:smiley: