Can someone explain what is going on here? Looks like a mess

Looking at that I may have to question if All Black Tape Matters…

1 Like

Was probably holding up the electrical. :shushing_face:
Blue Tape Matters

1 Like

I haven’t see any island vents like this. In michigan we use AAV caps to to vent em.

1 Like

“Under the kitchen sink is a shit show” :laughing:

2 Likes

Nice hack job to the bottom of the cabinet I guess he is not a finish carpenter either. The work was definitely not done by a professional plumber or carpenter.

That is a green city inspection sticker. Those bozos’ incompetence keeps me in the black.

Adam, unfortunately, that is a typical (ugly) installation of a kitchen island drain around these parts. The black tape was holding the in-slab Pex stubs during construction. Just leftover & ugly.

-Check if the Pex jumps (bangs cabinet) when water is turned on/off. Should be secured.

-Dishwasher valve is missing a hammer arrestor.

-Fill the sink & check for functional draining (no bubbling or chugging) is about the best you can do. Report what you observe.
Unfortunately it won’t get changed & believe it or not, there are thousands built the same that are working just fine. Go figure.

The gray conduit is likely supplying a receptacle (behind disposal) utilizing a MWBC for the dishwasher & disposal.

1 Like

:confused: :laughing: :sweat_smile: :rofl:

Is this some sort of a local thing?

That is exactly what our “professional” workforce puts out everyday by the thousands. People keep accepting that crap hand over fist. The buying here is at such a frenzy, people are offering 80k over asking in a 20 person bid war & still losing. Some even buy without an inspection (to win the bid) & pay me to tell them what they just bought. F’ing crazy!

Yes, at least areas of Greater Austin. Same for clothes washers. think he is in Houston area…may be different there.

You guys are strict :slight_smile: do you check the static water pressure in the house as well?

1 Like

Yes, water pressure is a TREC requirement.
Here’s the latest-

Building officials do not read, know or care about what a manufacturer requires or doesn’t. Many local AHJ’s still require expansion tanks on tankless systems even though the only way to have hot water to cause thermal expansion is to open the system.
(In my best code official, pompous ass voice) “Code requires it since there is a PRV”

Really? Can you post a picture? I’m interested to see how they do this.

Sure, just as soon as I get back to my inspection phone.
Would you like a picture of a properly or improperly supported expansion tank? Lol

New construction gets worse every day here but you can’t help but prosper where the streets are paved with gold!

I’ve put hundreds of expansion tanks in. I want to see where they install it on a tankless water heater.

I call out improperly supported expansion tanks all day long. Rarely do I find an expansion tank that is not supported by it’s piping.

1 Like

This is what I use for my plumbing business. One of the very very few import products I install.

Ha that’s hilarious! It’s even installed on the wrong side of the valve. Is it piped for a recirculation system? Is it ok to be supported with piping material? It may be UPC requirement I’m not sure.

So is that a TPRV or just a PRV?

Off topic but do you call out expansion tanks on the hot side?
Want to know what a good plumber thinks about that? Someone should start a new thread for this one.

I never seen an expansion tank on the hot side.

1 Like