Can someone help this lady.

Originally Posted By: gromicko
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Mrs. Kinight

Massilon, OH

(330) 837-0456

Called here about 10 times complaining about her inspector. Sounds elderly. Inspector is a member of... well... let's just say He Speak House.

Nick

Originally Posted By: slanicek

That place is about 10 miles west of Canton, OH I think. Little bit outa my jurisdiction, by about 2 hours give or take. Maybe someone else is closer.

Originally Posted By: wwarner

4+ hour drive for me…but if no one else will I’d see what I could do…

Bill

Originally Posted By: pdacey

About a 20 hr drive for me. I’ll be passin’ thru in June, but I guess that will be too late.

Slainte!

Patrick Dacey
swi@satx.rr.com
TREC # 6636
www.southwestinspections.com

I’m serious… if no one closer will help, I’m willing to go!

Bill

Originally Posted By: dvalley

C’mon William,

Show that NACHI spirit!![](upload://3mlczL8nLtRlwHiwEp4fX0rHRWa.gif)

Make us proud.

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

I spoke to this woman at length this evening. She sounds like a nice lady.

We have 2 things going on here:

She had a VA/FHA inspectoin performed on her behalf by the lender. There were a slew of problems uncovered which this person never addressed in his report. Some more notable omissions were the apparent lack of junction boxes in the basement. According to this woman's son, who is performing the electrical repairs, there were wire nuts ans "air" splices all over the place. Additionally, there was a hole in the back of a bedroom wall, where an extension cord, hard wired to a bedroom receptacle, and draping through the air in the master bedroom closet, feeding a wall receptacle in the master bedroom wall. BTW, there was no electrical box for the receptacle in the master bedroom. Just the receptacle in the cut wall, with a face plate.

She had the presence of mind to hire an inspector, who pointed most of this stuff out, in his inspection report. However, the FHA inspector failed to report any of it

Now for some additional fun. Her private inspector apparently missed a significant amount of termite damage in portions of the home. He DID report some damage in one section of the home, but missed damage in several others. He advertises that he is insured, but is willing to do nothing for this woman. Not even a courtesy call, an explanation, or a visit.

He also missed that the water heater was shot, and the heating system is on its last legs.

This is her first house, and unfortunately for her, she has no money to fix what is defective.

I asvised her to contact Larry Ott for advice on the FHA inspector and any recourse she may have with the lending institution.

As to the inspector she hired, he advertises that he is a full ASHI member.

I know its far, but could any of you possibly visit her and give her some guidance. It may be that the inspectors simpy missed stuff. I'd like to think that, but I could be wrong. She needs a little help.

She was surprised that I was willing to even talk to her. She was even more surprised when I told her I was calling from NY.

Sounds like a bad situation.

Any ideas?

--
Joe Farsetta

Illigitimi Non Carborundum
"Dont let the bastards grind you down..."

A license is required in Ohio now for WDI inspections.

Was either inspector licensed for this?

What further can any of us do? Other than re-inspect for little if any fee... sounds like she already knows the problems of the house...

Maybe we could do something along the lines of that case in Florida, you know help her a little monetarily with some of the repairs.

Bill

Originally Posted By: rpasquier

wwarner wrote:
A license is required in Ohio now for WDI inspections.
Was either inspector licensed for this?

What further can any of us do? Other than re-inspect for little if any fee... sounds like she already knows the problems of the house...

Maybe we could do something along the lines of that case in Florida, you know help her a little monetarily with some of the repairs.

Bill

I think that she would most definitely fit the profile for this http://www.nachi.org/hiexperience.htm.

This poor lady seems to have gone through some hard times with these guys.

I hope that NACHI can help her out.

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

What a horrible “EXPERIENCE” she must be going thru icon_wink.gif .

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

Nick

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

Gary Johnson:

I'll send you a grand (personally) for your NACHI Foundation's Fund for Victims of Uncertified Inspectors.

See if you can help her or whatever you want.

Nick

Almost missed that one! icon_lol.gif

good one!!! ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Bill

Originally Posted By: gjohnson

I think that the best thing, that could happen is if one of the inspectors in the area, visits with her. Talk to her, see what is going. If the other inspector is insured then she does have recourse if he did miss all that was said to have missed.

Gary (Snicker’s) Johnson - Free NACHOS

The NACHI Foundation

Executive Director

301-591-9895

Let’s not second guess this guy.

For my 2 cents, and as a 203K consultant under HUD, I think the bank's inspector completely missed the mark.

As to her own ASHI inspector, maybe the additional termite damage could not be seen. We'll need to see the NPCA-1.

I know it's very far for you guys (4 hours is awful), but I'd like to verify the inspector really screwed up.

--
Joe Farsetta

I think we should move the remainder of this thread to members only

Joe Farsetta

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

FindAnInspector brings these up in proximity:

Serving Massillon, OH (44646) and surrounding areas (6 mi.)
Richard Tharpe
Quality Home Inspection Service
Based in Massillon, OH
Contact Richard Tharpe
Phone: (330) 837-8839

Serving Canton, OH (44718) and surrounding areas (8 mi.)
Francis J. David
David Building Corporation
Based in Canton, OH
Contact Francis J. David
Phone: (330) 705-0351

Serving Magnolia, OH (44643) and surrounding areas (9 mi.)
Paul A. Offenberger
Offenberger Home Inspections
Based in Magnolia, OH
Contact Paul A. Offenberger
Phone: (330) 866-9302

Serving Akron, OH (44312) and surrounding areas (21 mi.)
Michael Parker
National Property Inspections
Based in North Royalton, OH
Contact Michael Parker
Phone: (440) 237-4444
Web: www.npiweb.com/parker

Charles Nikic
Buyers Advantage Home Inspections
Based in Akron, OH
Contact Charles Nikic
Phone: (330) 669-3815

--
Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Originally Posted By: glittle1

Lets not forget there is another side to this story, and what if this get dragged into court , is it not possible EVERYONE may be subpoenaed to court ? What a thank you that would be icon_eek.gif

Originally Posted By: wcampbell

Dave V., Thank you for thinking of me. icon_cool.gif I would love to do something for her, but I believe that you missed the part about me having an allergy to cold and snow.

For what it is worth, I did an inspection on a house in Beeville Tx yesterday. 1hr 55 min one way!

--
This Ole House-Home Inspections
William A. Campbell TREC # 6372
Serving the Texas Coastal Bend
(361) 727-0602 (home)
(361) 727-0055 (office)
(361) 229-4103 (cell)

Originally Posted By: dvalley

William Campbell,

Nope, I was referring to the previous post...William Warner.
![](upload://71SxD0QUCDtG6eg3FOZKsa7TCPT.gif)

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: dbowers

Before we hammer somebody without seeing whats really there, lets stop and think. What kind of comment is “the xxx is on its last legs” or “the XXX is shot”. Either they work or they don’t. Just being old doesn’t cut it. Do they need immediate repair to work or is it the Christmas wish list. Lets tie it down before we hammer a fellow inspector - even one of those other guys. Remember - Grandpa is 78 years old and could kick off tomorrow or he could outlive us all.

This summer a lender in Washington, D.C hired us to go look at a house for a "disabled, widowed and minority woman". She had written letters to Senators, FHA, Newspapers, etc. She had been taken advantage of and ripped off by the Seller, the FHA Appraiser, the ASHI Home Inspector, the lender and everybody else. She had a roof that leaked, mold, a stove that wouldn't work, toilets that would not drain, a dead air conditioner, a furnace flue that ran downhill and let carbon monoxide get into the house, and tons of electrical problems.

I got the appraisal, the HI report - studied them then went to the house. Every complaint she discussed was present and then some. However, the range that didn't work was not the brand mentioned in the report; the flue that ran downhill was bright and shiny (the HI's report said the flue had rust holes and needed replacement); the appraisal and home inspection were both done in January and the temperature was 19 degrees (the report said this and why it was not operated, and noted that the seller stated he didn't think it worked); the range didn't work - it was brand new and a gas range and there was no 240 volt outlet (the seller gave her a cash credit for the older broken one and she bought herself a new GAS one); the roof did leak (the inspectors report and appraisal said it was snow covered and not visible nor inspected - the sellers disclosure said the new roof was installed wrong and had defects and he was waiting on a manufacturers claim to repair it).

When I pointed out things like the sellers disclosure on the roof, her comment was "Well they said it was defective but they didn't say it leaked".

In short everything she complained about was disclosed or reported on.

Thats also why after several months of whining the seller, lender, appraiser and inspector had quit even returning her calls.

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry for someone so totall stupid.

Dan Bowers (Kansas City)