Can you be successful without a prior background?

Originally Posted By: Joel Reuter
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I’ve been hearing lately that you’ll never make it without some kind of previous background in the home inspection industry. Whether it be construction, architecture, plumbing, or electricity. Then I hear the exact opposite and that you don’t need a previous background. Who’s right? I have a background in cabinetry, but have never gotten into the construction aspect of things. Will no previous experience hinder my chances at becoming a home inspector?

joel

p.s. Thanks for all the great info so far. You guys are helping me make a very important decision in becoming or home inspector or not. Much thanks.

Originally Posted By: Robert Patterson

Joel,

If you've done cabnitry, then you have the ability to learn HI. Just make sure you get proper training and never quit learning. If you have any specific questions, evrybody on this board will answer them for you here or by e-mail, whichever way you are most comfortable. (Although, I would be careful with any electrical advice from that Joe M. guy icon_lol.gif ).

Bob

Originally Posted By: adufresne

Joel, You can become a home inspector even if you do not have any

trainning in the building trades, having some does help you. Going to a good home inspection school, and there are plenty out there, will help

you. You can learn alot from this site also. Don’t believe everything that

is being told to you. I researched this industry for almost a year before I

found a school I wanted and went for it. Alot of people will tell you all the

bad things, but very few will tell you all the good things. I have found alot

of great things about this industry. I have started my sixth year and I feel

just as good as anybody who has been doing this for twenty years. Only

you know what you want to become. I will be here if there is anything I can do to help you.

Armand Quality Home Inspection Services

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Bob,

You better watch yourself or I am gonna let everyone here know that you helped me with the electrical.....opsssss!

Guess the cat is out of the bag now! icon_biggrin.gif

Joe Myers

Joel,

Of course you can be successful without prior experience. Just how successful depends more on your personality than it does your experience. If you want it bad enough....

Anyway....if experience is what you are after take a look around for another home inspector that can help you with OJT. Maybe you could work for them PT for a while and they could help you with the education end of it. Most vo-tech schools have pretty decent courses in just about every aspect of the home. Take a look at some...try taking them before you get busy.

Joe Myers

I don’t know nuthin’ 'bout no lectrical icon_razz.gif

Bob

Bob,

HE HE....are you hitting the bottle again? icon_lol.gif

Joe Myers

Just can’t break the dang thing!

Bob,

Does your state have any legislation on home inspectors being introduced?

Them darn bottles are a lot tuffer than they used to be. The last one I threw against a rock, broke the rock!

Joe Myers

No pending legislation. We are required to have a master business license and a structural pest inspectors license.

Bob

Originally Posted By: rray

Wanna be successful? Read “Guerilla Marketing Tactics.” I think that’s the title. Came out in 1978 or so.

Someone (maybe Guerilla Marketing Tactics) once said, "Success is 80% enthusiasm and 20% knowledge." It's the old 80/20 rule that you should have learned in Economics 101 in college or early in your business career.

--
Home inspections. . . .
One home at a time.