Can you spot the problem??

Can you see the problem with this water heater setup from today’s inspection??

Yes, I can.

piercing type saddle valve tapped into flexible section for which it is not designed. Saddle valve tapped onto hot water (this is done sometimes to get clearer ice cubes). Piercing valves suck.

He just asked if I could see it, not for an explanation…:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

However, that is what I found, both issues. I used to use those things years ago, but return calls for leaks on over 50% of them caused me to use soldered fittings, valves and compression fittings instead. End of leaks.

It appears that the vent is to large for the collar.

Yep. Wrong size vent for that hood.

No visible bonding jumper (assuming metallic piping), no TPR valve (limited picture view) and the saddle (piercing) fitting.

Anything else?

A bonding jumper at the water heater, while certainly common to see, is not required by any model code. Hot to cold bonding is can be done by many other means, such as the simple brass body of a single handle shower valve.

You guys have some great eyes. I zoomed it in until it was little but pixels and still can’t be sure where it’s piercing the pipe. Yes, it could be tapped into that flexible pipe, but at that angle, I am not prepared to make that call.

I’ll stick with the improperly sized vent!

In truth, I just guessed that it might be. Piercing valves suck, no matter how you slice it. They’re a recipie for a leak.

Are you sure this is wrong size vent??? Looks like b-vent (doubled wall pipe) which makes it look bigger than needed.??? just a thought

Vent requires 3 screws per connection…didn’t see any holding the vent to the draft hood.

How about the kink in the hot water outlet and it might not be code,but shouldn’t there be Di-electric union?

Hot water tap (anodizing bacterial issues if feeding power humidifier / ice maker, etc.)

B-vent OK (3 screw rule may not be possible now - not supposed to penetrate inner wall) - better install would have been 6-12" of single wall into the double wall (would have also allowed for future change outs. Looks like a new piece of b-vent - where does it terminate - if to outdoors - are proper clearances maintained thru run - is insulation shield installed in attic.

dielectric ?

18 in rule required?