CANADA - Labour and Housing Minister Joe Fontana

Originally Posted By: rwand
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

FYI

http://capwiz.com/ashi/home/

Raymond Wand
Alton, ON

Originally Posted By: clawrenson

Two more states pass laws regulating home inspectors, total now 31

Tennessee’s new licensure law is the 2005 Public Chapter 65 of the Tennessee Code. The effective date of the Act is July 1, 2006. North Dakota has a new registration act.

The writing is on the wall!

Even if self-regulation is under the auspices of the "dreaded empire" - would you rather have legislation?

How do you eliminate the "old boys" club? Answer is arms-length independent certification council.

Seems my posts are in vain!

--
Ontario Home Inspections Inc.

Good morning Claude,

I think that is part of the problem. The National has been portrayed as regulation/licensing, even though it appears participation in the National will be voluntary.

Cheers,
Raymond Wand
Alton, ON

From my read of the document and general understanding as a participant in this process - licensing was not and never was the ultimate goal. If that was the case - there should be much to fear. The ultimate goal was and still is self-regulation.

A lot of the other issues are primarily house keeping issues regarding standards for the sector. It seems the more we try to unite home inspectors to a common standard the more some feel the need to act independently in order not to conform to the standard. C'est la vie! Viva la difference! Hey each to their own - it's your choice.

That was the finding and reason why CMHC and HRSDC have help fund getting the home inspection sector on track. Simply because our inspection standards and educational standards are inconsistent. REM: We are not regulated and anybody can start up tomorrow - with or without the required education, association certification or appropriate background or experience.

Additionally, certain types of projects and work will be performed only by nationally certified members. There are a number of associations that have made such a commitment such as CMHC and CREA, as well as others.

Again no one is going to force an inspector to become nationally certified, however the opportunities, publications and advertisements and decision making choice in the very near future could possibly impact the selection based and reflecting the new standards.

--

Originally Posted By: rcooke

clawrenson wrote:

That was the finding and reason why CMHC and HRSDC have help fund getting the home inspection sector on track. Simply because our inspection standards and educational standards are inconsistent. REM: We are not regulated and anybody can start up tomorrow - with or without the required education, association certification or appropriate background or experience.

Additionally, certain types of projects and work will be performed only by nationally certified members. There are a number of associations that have made such a commitment such as CMHC and CREA, as well as others.

Again no one is going to force an inspector to become nationally certified, however the opportunities, publications and advertisements and decision making choice in the very near future could possibly impact the selection based and reflecting the new standards.

Again I am not against National certification and am ready to sit down and take the exam it is just who thinks they are the best to do it . To me it is like getting the fox to guard the hen house . Until OAHI cleans it's own home they (In my opinion they should not be involved ) .
This could be the best thing to happen to the inspection industry , but it must be arms length from OAHI.
Roy Cooke sr .

Originally Posted By: Dave Bottoms

Claude

What is your take on the PDI survey? TARION is working in Ontario, the board is made up of a good representation of the industry and TARION has in place construction standards and inspection protocols for new homes. It is a vast improvement from ONHWP. TARION allows anyone the purchaser chooses to inpsect on their behalf, they could be Architects, Engineer, Home Inspector, et ceteras. Is CAHPI now trying to suggest it is in a position to direct TARION a provincially legislated body on how to conduct its affairs and change its inspection protocols?

Thanks,
Raymond Wand
Alton, ON

Government of Canada announces funding for Construction Sector Council projects

December 10, 2003

http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/en/cs/comm/news/2003/031210b.shtml

http://www.senecac.on.ca/parttime/pip-home_inspection.html
The Carson Dunlop and Associates program has been adopted by the American Society of Home Inspectors (ASHI), the Canadian Association of Home and Property Inspectors (CAHPI) in BC, Saskatchewan and Manitoba. The Carson Dunlop program complies with ASHI Curriculum and Standards of Practice.
Quote:
The program also meets the Professional Home/Property Inspector Occupational Standards developed by the Canadian Home Inspectors and Building Officials Steering Committee for National Standards (CHIBO).

Construction Sector Council aims for more home inspectors, building officials
http://www.csc-ca.org/english/whatsnew_4.html

Just some more sites I found that maybe of interest.

Cheers,
Raymond Wand
Alton, ON

Originally Posted By: lewens

Again Claude, you and everyone else who seems to be in the know is evading the question. I cannot be more forward than this. Will I have to join CHAPI to be able to write for certification or not? I have no problem with the whole idea of self regulation or for that matter licensing if it comes to that. I agree that a common set of standards and a common code of ethics is required. I just have a problem with the dancing around of the issue of who is going to be responsible for the administration of the exam and who is going to train the panel or board who is proctoring. It appears to everyone outside CAHPI that this is a backdoor approach to enlarge the national association. The prestige that will be gained by CAHPI by doing this will be immeasurable if we are indeed required to pony up the dollars for membership to write the exam and then maintain membership to be able to rewrite each year to remain current which has been suggested.

Larry

Just my usual 12.5 cents

From The Great White North Eh?
NACHI-CAN
www.aciss-brant.com
www.certifiedadulttrainingservices.com/

Originally Posted By: ccrooker

icon_question.gif I tried to send a e-mail to Michelle Walsh at mwaish@cc-ca.org and it came back <mwalsh@csc-ca.org>:

206.191.28.84 does not like recipient.

Remote host said: 550 5.0.0 <mwalsh@csc-ca.org>… Spam Not Accepted,Try Again Later!

Giving up on 206.191.28.84.

icon_question.gif I got this info form the site from Construction Sector Council aims for more home inspectors, building officials

http://www.csc-ca.org/english/whatsnew_4.html that Raymond Wand sent in is message icon_question.gif icon_question.gif Chuck

Respectfully, YES - I am obliged and also compelled to adhere to officially release that information when it can be “officially” announced. After all I am one of a committee of seven with a vote. I have tried my best to give you my personal POV on certain topics. Others areas are and must remain strictly confidential until final agreement on the document is reached. There are even portions of the document that the committee has not viewed yet - under the final word-smithing of the “consultant”.

It simply would not be wise to give you or anyone else a definite answer here without seeing the whole package from start to finish. But in the meantime I can honestly appreciate the anxieties and possible apprehension that can take place until such an official announcement is made. It is my understanding that the final version will likely be a few more weeks. When I find out that it is "official" I will gladly share the report and a response to your concern. Besides the NACHI website is not the only constituent area to release information to.

Until that point, there are still a few minor revisions in the works as it is still a work in the final stages of processing.

So please indulge me - who or whom to you best see to certify home inspectors nationally in Canada?

--

Claude

That is fair in my opinion.

Thank you.

Raymond Wand
Alton, ON

Originally Posted By: lewens

Claude

As I mentioned in a previous post, I believe there are enough qualified home inspectors in Canada and enough people involved in the industry as a whole to serve as a board of certification without anyone having to join CAHPI or any other association they did not want to. Again it smacks of a money grab on the part of CAHPI. We, as a group, I am sure see the importance of the national initiative, but, I for one do not see how you can force someone to join an association. If we are to be excluded from the certification process due to the refusal of joining the association I will be screaming discrimination from the roof tops. Something tells me the final draft will appear in a very timely manner to preclude the masses having time to respond. I truly hope this is not the case, but, we will see.

In the meantime I am going to continue my campaign of letting anyone in the industry know what is going on. So far most of the people I have spoken to have know idea what this is all about or that it is even contemplated. So much for getting the word out.

Larry

Just my usual 12.5 cents

From The Great White North Eh?
NACHI-CAN
www.aciss-brant.com
www.certifiedadulttrainingservices.com/

Fair enough I still appreciate your POV. I also agree there are numerous extremely qualified inspectors, but it still does not give the perception or offer the reality of arm’s length independence. Perhaps (I am only guessing) you have not been around long enough to realize the true meaning of the need for that arm’s length independence. Look at some of the earlier posts about the “old boys” club and so on. It will satisfy most - but probably not every inspector. What I can agree on is that not every inspector will ever be happy irregardless what comes down.

Campaign on - but please at least be armed with facts and wait to see what the reality of the situation really is. Because a large part of the problem with forum such as this - seems to be trying to help dispel rumours, innuendoes and misinformation. The facts seem to be the best, but sometimes they may not be always available right away. I would rather feel that valuable time can equally be spent helping other inspectors rather than debating political viewpoints on what might be or could be.

Again you seem to believe that this will be a "money grab for CAHPI" - or how about lets make it a money grab for NACHI. The reality is it does and will cost money no matter who delivers this process. What is the actual cost to administer such a process? If it is such a wonderful money grab - I bet the government would gladly step in and make it even more so profitable for their coffers. So keep campaigning and you may end up with something worst - government legislation.

So what does it cost to run any business? I am sure if anything that at least the administration and processing cost must be covered, unless it is going to be done for free by inspectors that seem to busy and to apathetic to respond to surveys that might impact their future.

As I stated before no one is forcing you to join CAHPI or CAHPI-Ontario. It is like my membership in NACHI or any other organization - strictly a business decision. It does not offer me any more or any less credibility.

Regards, Claude

--

Still don’t like lawyers, realtors, insurance folks sitting on a certification council critiquing me or anyone else for that matter. Who dreamt up that make-up?

No lawyers, no realtors, no insurance people!
Yes to home inspectors, engineers, building code officials on the certification council. But who cares right? After all joining will not be mandatory.

Raymond Wand
Alton, ON

--
The value of experience is not in seeing much,
but in seeing wisely. - Sir William Osler 1905

http://www.raymondwand.ca
NACHI Member
Registered Home Inspector (R.H.I.)

Originally Posted By: rcooke

rwand wrote:
Still don't like lawyers, realtors, insurance folks sitting on a certification council critiquing me or anyone else for that matter. Who dreamt up that make-up?

No lawyers, no realtors, no insurance people!
Yes to home inspectors, engineers, building code officials on the certification council. But who cares right? After all joining will not be mandatory.

Raymond Wand
Alton, ON

Seems strange to me .Some say.
"As I stated before no one is forcing you to join CAHPI or CAHPI-Ontario. It is like my membership in NACHI or any other organization - strictly a business decision. It does not offer me any more or any less credibility. "

Others say if you do not join your business will suffer greatly as you will be very restricted to what inspections you can do .

I expect there will be a lot more discussion on this. Many seem to disagree on the information we are receiving. and the short time frame . I feel it is unfair those who could be effected most might not get a chance to voice their thoughts . So glad to see some information has slipped out .

Roy Cooke sr............ Royshomeinspection.com

--