It would be nice though if the mentioned “such as InterNACHI”
A couple of years ago I sent out this letter to the real estate boards across Alberta because of a similar situation where they were suggesting a “such as and then that other organization”. Don’t know if it did any good but maybe Nick should think about sending out some info to all the banks, realtors, lawyers and anyone else that has an interest in our business…hint, hint…
International Association of Certified Home Inspectors (InterNACHI)
To The Alberta Real Estate Association and Local Real Estate Boards of Alberta;
RE: NEW Alberta Licence information from the Alberta Chapter of InterNACHI
September 1, 2011 all home inspectors and home inspection businesses must be licenced in Alberta. There are two types of acceptable licences being issued by the AB government:
- Full Home Inspector Licence
- Conditional Home Inspector Licence
The Full Home Inspector Licence is issued to a Certified Master Inspector (CMI) designation and/or its equivalent who meet government requirements as described in the new legislation (see link below).
A Conditional Home Inspector Licence is issued to a home inspector who is in the process of or about to receive their Full Home Inspection licence (see link below).
What is a CMI (Certified Master Inspector) as referenced in the new legislation?
The Master Inspector Certification Board Inc. is a non-profit organization dedicated to promoting excellence in the inspection industry.The Board holds the registered Trademark Certified Master Inspector® (CMI), the inspection industry’s top professional designation, and awards it to qualifying inspectors who have demonstrated a high level of competency by:
- Completing 1,000 fee-paid inspections and/or hours of inspection-related Continuing Education courses (combined) in their lifetime;
- Proving they’ve been in the inspection business for at least three years;
- Abiding by the industry’s toughest Code of Ethics;
- Substantially following a Board-approved Standards of Practice;
- Submitting to a criminal background check;
- Applying for Board certification by signing an affidavit in front of a Notary.
*The Master Inspector Certification Board, Inc. is not a trade association, and the Certified Master Inspector® is not a membership level. Certified Master Inspector® is a professional designation available to all qualifying inspectors who wish to be Board-Certified™.**Mission:*By awarding the Continuing Education/experience-based Certified Master Inspector® professional designation, the Master Inspector Certification Board, Inc. supports the inspection industry’s advanced education providers and encourages experienced inspectors to maintain excellence.
What is a CCHI designation?
- Certified Canadian Home Inspector (CCHI);[FONT=Times New Roman] [/FONT]
- Completed 27 Alberta reviewed and approved training courses;[FONT=Times New Roman] [/FONT]
- Successfully passed 29 tests including 2 proctored exams with a score of 85% or higher;[FONT=Times New Roman] [/FONT]
- Successfully passed a Peer review with a score of 85% or higher proctored by a CMI trained to conduct a Peer review;[FONT=Times New Roman] [/FONT]
- Designation exclusively for members of the International Association of Certified Home Inspectors;[FONT=Times New Roman] [/FONT]
- Must be a good standing member of the International Association of Certified Home Inspectors of Alberta
To find a CMI (Certified Master Inspector); CCHI (Certified Canadian Home Inspector) licensed inspector and member of InterNACHI Alberta please visit http://ab.nachi.org/albertanachi/members.html
For a complete list of CMI Inspectors in North America please visit: http://www.certifiedmasterinspector.org/cmi/find.htm
Licensing information for home inspection businesses and consumers can be found on the Service Alberta website:
We look forward to our continued association with each of you as we provide the high standard of excellence we are entrusted with in the home inspection industry and for the consumers of Alberta.
Dan Levia, CMI (Certified Master Inspectior)
President, Alberta InterNACHI Chapter
International Association of Certified Home Inspectors