cancel during an inspection?

My agreements do not have the date of the inspection on them, only the date the agreement was signed, thus if this ever happened to me (which it has not yet) I would not break the agreement, just delay the inspection for say 1, 2 3 or however many years,…:shock:

Jim

I have in the past during a home inspection opened a crawl space, attic hatch, basement door and though “I did not charge enough for this one”
One time I entered the basement to find what was basically a second house.

I have never adjusted my price or canceled an inspection. I chalk it up to a learning experience, my fault for not knowing better.
I have encountered clients that part way through the inspection I began wishing I was not present for the inspection. I do not scare as easily as some of you appear to by your post. I do my job to the best of my ability and get paid for it.

3 times in the past 10 years, about 20-35 minutes into the inspection I realized I was with FrankenBuyer. I collected my equipment, picked up my inspection agreement, smiled AND said in my most pleasant tone:

“Folks I’m so sorry but I realize I’m not gonna be able to satisfy your needs, therefore I’m going to leave. Have a nice day and there will be NO charge AND anything I’ve told you today is my gift to you. Bye / Bye”.

One other time I was all the way done with a home, termite and IR scan and buyer tried renegotiating price, then terms of contract, etc, etc. After talking to him for 20 minutes and getting NOWHERE, I politely said:

“Mr Buyer I’m so sorry but I realize I’m not gonna be able to satisfy your needs, therefore I’m going to leave. Have a nice day and there will be NO charge AND anything I’ve told you today is my gift to you. Bye / Bye”.

If I have a dimwit that I don’t feel can be made right / Cut them loose.

1 Like

Happened to me twice. Both times paid for my time and told not to write the report and they’d call me for the next one. Easy money and time to enjoy a coffee before the next one :slight_smile:

This only happened to me once in 12 years. During the inspection, the buyer got into a yelling match with his Realtor having something to do with the loan. The buyer fired his Realtor just as I was finishing up the exterior part of the inspection and told me he didn’t want the house. He told me he would pay me what I thought would be fair based on my time. His dumb a** Realtor just looked at me and said “HELP!!!”. I told the buyer no inspection report, no fee and got in my truck and took an early lunch before my next appointment.

I have stopped inspections a few times during the inspection. But only when a client has decided the house has far more issues than they previously thought and it is usually about midpoint in the inspection. If that happens, I cut the inspection rate, notes are made in the report about customer request it not be completed, document signed stating the same and we call it a day. The very few of those that have happened have all come back with another house to inspect. I think it is just looking out for the customer and being a fair bit of business. To me it adds to a reputation, which in this small rural part of Virginia means a lot.