Canceled Appointments

Originally Posted By: Vince Santos
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I got a call today from a client I was supposed to do an inspection for this afternoon. I was told that it would have to be re-scheduled for Thursday or Friday, they are supposed to call me back to let me know which day. I always tell my client to call me 24 hours in advance if something comes up, this will allow me to schedule accordingly. Of course this means I loose money today. I don’t charge for cancelled appointments and was wondering if anyone else does? Do you charge a certain percentage of the inspection fee?

Desire is half of life, indifference is half of death.

–Kahlil Gibran

Originally Posted By: jbehling

Do you want the inspection? icon_lol.gif

If I was told there was going to be a charge for a cancelled appt., I would tell the inspector to go pound sand and I will find someone else.

Of course, that's me

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Vince,

I've had cancellations many of times. Just recently a client contacted me just as I pulled into the driveway. I counted to three...%&#*^*&(@ (biting my tongue) and politely rescheduled while I was on the phone.

Charging for cancellations just won't work.

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

I’ve had 4 cancellations in the last 2 weeks. One of them an apartment complex… icon_cry.gif

One of them had title search problems

One cancelled because the investment home wasn’t zoned for rental

One cancelled because the wife found and booked someone else and didn’t tell him.

One cancelled because he found someone else cheaper.

Go figure!

looks like Raemen noodles for awhile!

--
Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Vince, you are also talking about postponened appointments, not cancellations.

Postponed means you will get the $$. Cancelled, means you just lost business. icon_sad.gif

That’s true Kevin.

Actually i'm wondering if this person will really call back. I will continue to count it as a loss until I actually schedule it. Charging for cancellations was just a thought. After all, how do you get someone to pay for a service you didn't provide?

--
--Kahlil Gibran

Originally Posted By: jbehling

Vince Santos wrote:
After all, how do you get someone to pay for a service you didn't provide?

Make them an offer they can't refuse. Oh, and don't forget the canolli ![icon_twisted.gif](upload://xjO326gspdTNE5QS3UTl0a0Rtvy.gif)

jbehling wrote:

Make them an offer they can't refuse. Oh, and don't forget the canolli ![icon_twisted.gif](upload://xjO326gspdTNE5QS3UTl0a0Rtvy.gif)

Leave the gun.

--

Originally Posted By: ekartal

Let it go. icon_wink.gif

Erol

Make that 5 icon_evil.gif

Got a call tonite to change weekends because the seller isn’t available this weekend.

They want to push it to the 20th…I know you guys won’t understand, but that’s the opening of deer season here. In Wisconsin it’s like a religious holiday for 9 days…even kids get out of school for it.

I’ve been waiting all year for opener, and basically told him I couldn’t do it that weekend. He said he’d call back tomorrow if other dates work better. I know he doens’t understand as he’s from CA!!! I know he’s going to find someone else…damnnnnn…grrrrrrrr. icon_evil.gif

Originally Posted By: rwashington

Yeah I am sure we could create quite a thread with this topic.

Not sure if this qualifies as a cancellation or not. I get an email at 4:45pm saying she wants an insp. and the best time to call is at work. I get back from an inspection nearly 2 hours later at 6:30 and proceed to get her vmail at her work. Thought to myself, if this person says best time to call is at work so I will not bother her at home. Wrong Move! I call the next morning at her work and she has already booked another inspector. Granted, I called her voicemail the night before letting her know I would call first thing in the morning. So much for being polite, right?

Richard W Washington

www.rwhomeinspections.com

Originally Posted By: jpeck

Me thinks youse guys are using the wrong term.

And that's your problem.

You did not have a "cancellation", you had a "postponement".

BIG DIFFERENCE.

I was on my way to an inspection not too long ago (it was a 1 1/2 hour drive to get there) and I was only about 10 minutes out from my office, Lois (who answers my phone) called and said the inspection would have to be rescheduled as there was not going to be anyone there to let me in.

My reply? "Good, I just filled up with gas and am not far from the office, I'm going back to the office and 'do things'."

Stuff like that happens.

Now, had I already been there and it postponed ... I WAS there once, 2 hour drive, big inspection, no one showed, inspection had been CANCELED and they forgot to tell us. Now that can tick you off. But it happens rarely. Postponements I don't mind. In fact, sometimes, when I can't get back in there when they want it, they re-schedule it back for that same day - it was either that or lose it altogether, so they kept it.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

kmcmahon wrote:
Vince, you are also talking about postponened appointments, not cancellations.
Postponed means you will get the $$. Cancelled, means you just lost business. ![icon_sad.gif](upload://nMBtKsE7kuDHGvTX96IWpBt1rTb.gif)

Jerry, It's already been said!

--

Originally Posted By: Chuck Thompson

Just a note, some of us CA people do enjoy deer hunting as well as other types of hunting.

Just thought I would let you know. ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--
Fear Profits a Man Nothing

BTW

I tried to contact this client but they never called back. They are closing on the house today.

Ahh well...

--
--Kahlil Gibran